Dogs die in heat

lisar

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Man, I just can't believe that and it happened in AZ a southern state.

It gets very hot down here in TX. We have left our puppy outside in the yard at my grandmas before but there is a porch with a big bowl of water and fans for when she gets hot/tired. By big bowl of water I mean one of those petmate dispenser things...it holds like 5 gallons of water. She loves to run though, this is used as a treat kind of. If shes bad she doesn't get to run off the leash in the yard and she knows that. Shes never out there for very long, I bring her back inside once she tires herself out. Usually takes about an hour to an hour and half of running in the yard. We live in apartments so 99.9% of the time she has to be leashed when outside.

I take her on long walks just because she has so much energy (7 months old) but I always make sure to lead her to the water bowl first thing when we get in. If its a really long walk I'll bring a water bottle for me and a cup so I can share. We have heat index's here of over a 100 everyday. Though I'm still learning how to be a dog owner.