Dog poop in America

tuxedoontheloos

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not certain if this woild be feasible or not, but aroind where I live there was a dog poop poblem on the trails. The town's solution was to put up trashcans with free plastic bags. I don't think you shoild be responsible for providing supplies to pet owners who can't be bothered to be even slightly responsible, but if nothing else works maybe a similar set up along with a 'children play here please keep it clean' could work.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hazelnut

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is how it was back in my town in England.  I don't think they provided poop bags, but there were designated red bins to dispose of dog waste in the parks.  I definitely think this is a great idea!

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
This is true. America is much larger than England, sometimes I forget that some things work by state, as opposed to the whole country. I suspect I'm just in a neighbourhood where people unfortunately don't respect each other. I have just found dog laws pertaining to Pennsylvania, with one being:

- It is unlawful to allow your dog to run at large. All dogs must be under control. Owners are responsible for all damages caused by their dog(s).

Don't see anything regarding poop, though. :/
In Pennsylvania, that sort of thing is usually regulated by county or town laws. This might be what you're looking for:

§37-9 Defiling on property prohibited
No person owning, harboring, keeping or in charge of any dog shall cause, suffer or allow such dog to defile or defecate on any common thoroughfare, sidewalk, pathway, bypath, play area, park or any place where people congregate or walk or on any public property whatsoever or on any private property without the permission of the owner of said property.
Maybe you could copy it and post it on your property?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hazelnut

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise

I have just e-mailed our township manager, relayed the issues we've been having in the neighbourhood, and suggested this link.  I really appreciate you posting it here! 
Cool!  Let us know how they respond.