Dog person wants to know how to train a cat to be more...doglike?

werebear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It might help if you sat down and figured out what it is you like about dogs that you think you can't get from a cat.

Is it just because the apartment you are in allows cats but not dogs? Not the best reason in the world, but if you are looking for companionship, cats are just as good.

They're just different.

Dogs demand attention, all the time, no matter who you are. They can't help it. Cats do not, unless and until you have established a strong friendship with them. Then you will find they demand attention, and are as difficult to ignore, as any dog or human who wants it.

Want the cat to do tricks? Then invest the time and interest into clicker training the cat:

http://www.google.com/search?q=click...L_enUS246US246

Want the cat to be affectionate? Then be affectionate in return. Better, yet, be affectionate, FIRST.

This link to my blog will show you what I mean:

http://wayofcats.blogspot.com/2007/10/cat-poker.html

Dogs come to us ready and willing to be devoted to us. Cats can start out that way, but these tendencies must be nurtured and understood to achieve great cat relationships.

And they are soooooo worth it.

You might be surprised what will happen once you stop wishing you had a dog, and start realizing how much fun cats can be. But remember; this grows into an adult/adult relationship.

The one thing you cannot do is take them for granted.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are some things you can do that might help encourage your cat to behave more affectionately but only to a point... My two previous cats always were very attached to their "main person", run to the door in greeting and etc...but we never tried to train them or anything, that's just how they are (like how my current cat is very much a "lap cat" but then again my cats were adults when we adopted them. It helps to pick a cat or a cat breed that is known for those traits in the first place-- there really is something to be said for "nature"!

Some things you can do to help your cat be more affectionate are give treats when she shows you affection, have a treat container by the door and give a treat when you come home, and never restrain your cat when s/he does not want to be restrained (it annoys them and makes them not want to come up to you because they think they will be grabbed or restrained.)

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Bijou knows the sound of my car and will come running to the car to greet me when I drive in the driveway. He'll jump in the car when I open the door and rub himself all over me while purring like a little motor. Problem is getting him out of the car to go into the house.
Awwww my Babygirl use to do that, what a wonderful feeling to see a kitty who comes running to greet you just from seeing your car

All of my cats came to me relatively at the same time (Easy a little sooner than the others). They were all raised the same. They all come to the door when I come home from somewhere. At night when I get ready for bed and tell them "lets go night night" they all come running and get in the bed. Kiko plays fetch with a bottle cap, the others do not.

They are all very affectionate, but in varying degrees. Tino is the only one who is not a lap cat, but he is very affectionate and loves to lay and sleep close.

The point is, they are all different and all I did is love them, maybe too much for some, but its the way I chose to do it. And the word "No" to them might as well be "grass" because I always just let them do whatever.

They are happy and loved BUT it takes them time to warm up to others.

Just let your kitty show you who they are and love them no matter what and you will not be disappointed in what you get in return.

sham

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our dog is not a human. In training him, I can't discipline him the way that I would my child, for example. He learns differently than humans do, and he reacts differently than a human to the exact same situations. I can't "nurture" him into becoming more human-like because he's *not* a human. He's a dog.
Most animal training principals and methods apply just as well to kids. No you don't stick them on a collar and leash but overall the psychological aspect and how you respond (negatively, positively, excitement level... etc.) works the same. My friend's a teacher and I have lots of experience training different animals. When I start a discussion of training principals that apply to all animals she ends up coming up with examples and situations of applying the exact same thing to children. The reverse also happens. When she discusses issues she's had getting the children to behave or learn I start coming up with examples of how I got an animal to be more willing.

Any animal is going to greet you at the door, follow you around, and be more willing to listen the more you work with them and the more positive sessions you have. Here is where I agree nurture has a great impact. Even independent animals can be made to be rather clingy and friendly if you put in enough work. Here is where nature applies. It will take more work for less human oriented animals than for friendlier more dependent ones. Not all dogs are clingy and friendly. Some more independent breeds (which are usually called catlike) won't greet you with as much excitement, won't easily learn commands, and won't follow you around like a shadow. It takes more work to make them friendly and obedient towards people. Same thing works with cats (along with horses, guinea pigs, degus, gerbils, chickens, button quail, goats, llamas... I've had lots of animals). Some are naturally easy to make friends with and desire attention while some are going to take alot of work. Lots of treats, lots of attention, and trying to upset the animal as little as possible so you are considered a positive thing that they want to be around will over time make them desire your attention more. Even animals not considered to be human friendly can be convinced to do all the things you mentioned if you put in enough time with the animal. Some animals though are going to take alot of time and effort on your part. You can reach the same end result but what your starting with depends on the individual you have.

crazycalicos5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have two calicos and they are very affectionate and loyal. They greet us at the door, follow us to every room, sleep through the night with us, and beg for food like a dog would. They also want attention from anyone who walks in the door, which is hard when you have people over that arent exactly fond of cats. My parents have a lab and there are a lot of similarities between my kittens and their dog. I personally am more of a cat person because I cant stand how dogs dont leave you alone when you dont want them all over you. I appreciate how cats give you your space. My parents get very tired out with their dog becuase he requires constant attention. I guess its all relative to one's personality. If you show loyalty to a cat they will give it back to you.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Caelestis

Hello, don't have a go at me i mean this with sincerity and i'm a nuturist not a naturist.
I've got a kitten, lovely lovely little thing, but i'm used to having dogs. I can't have a dog in my flat, which is why i got a cat as i like to have an animal around. I really love the loyalty and affection of a dog, how they greet you at the door and always want to be around you. Is there anyway to train a cat to be more...um, affectionate or demonstrative or clingy? From being a kitten? I am a dog person i suppose, and would like to be able to train a cat to be more dog like. Can you train a cat to fetch and do tricks or alert you to when someones at the door?
Hi! If you expect your cat to be a dog, you will be disappointed. They're just not. However, it sounds like you will be pleasantly surprised to find that what you expect a cat to act like isn't how cats are. If you're willing to appreciate your cat for being a cat, it'll be much more rewarding than trying to push her into a mold of an entirely different species.
Cats are loyal and affectionate, but you might have to work for it. They aren't pack animals who look up to you as the leader of the pack no matter what you do to them. The dominant ones will treat you as an equal with opposable thumbs, the submissive ones will treat you as an older sibling. Neither relationship is unconditional, though cats are much more forgiving than humans.

There is no way to make a cat do... anything. It is about coaxing. For instance Zissou is leash-trained, plays fetch, greets me at the door, follows me from room to room, sleeps on my bed every night (though she didn't for a long time), lets me know when something weird is happening, and comes when I call. I did not, however, train her to do any of these things, and had I tried, she probably wouldn't do any of them. Playing fetch, with any cats I've known who do it, is a spontaneous thing that happens after you play with them interactively enough and they get the concept on their own. If they don't want to do it, they're not gonna do it.

Though one way to help the process along would be to sit at the end of a long hallway and throw bits of dry food down the hall. Then only throwing another one once your cat comes back to you after eating it. This is more psychological conditioning than it is training the way you would train a dog though.

Anyway, your standard reward training with a dog is going to be counterproductive with a cat whether you want it to work or not. Another thing that is different is that you can't teach a cat to be more affectionate to you by being more affectionate to him (her? you didn't say). If a cat wants to sit on your lap, he is going to, if you pick him up and put him on your lap in an attempt to train him to, he's going to be less likely to want to, not more likely. The less you try to force it, the more it's likely to happen.

sham

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You can most definitely train a cat with the same positive reward system as a dog it just takes more effort. About the same as training more independent dogs that wander off if you don't keep things interesting and easy to accomplish. Proper training of a dog doesn't make them do anything either. It convinces them to do it by choice and with as little force as possible.

Being more affectionate to a kitten will have an impact on how affectionate they are when they grow up to an extent. We've seen it all the time in raising litters of orphaned barn kittens. The ones that are handled the most are the ones that have the most desire to interact as adults. The ones that are handled the least are the least affectionate. Example I got Carmel as a kitten. I hauled her everywhere. Was always carrying her tucked under one arm while I did everything in the house from fixing food to watching tv. I played with her constantly. She is extremely affectionate. Well before I got her spayed she came into heat and my stepdad annoyed with her yowling threw her outside. Result was 4 kittens. 2 I decided to keep, 2 were adopted out. Of the 2 I kept one was a complete copy of carmel and my favorite. I treated her the same as Carmel hauling her around all the time. She was very very friendly and affectionate. As soon as I come in the house both of them would be right there giving me a "mew, mew" greeting. Her brother was more my sister's and she would talk to him frequently but only give him a few pets in passing and rarely picked him up. He rarely comes up to anyone for attention. He only occasionally lays on your lap and never greets anyone at the door. He doesn't desire petting and attention like his relatives. I've seen the same with many other litters and taming barn cats that have recieved various levels of attention and human interaction. You can shape a cat's personality to a point by how you handle them as a kitten. You just have to keep in mind some do have a personality that naturally lends itself to being friendly and affectionate while others will take more effort.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have to work with the natural cat traits. Some breeds/cats have a tendency to be more "dog-like" in SOME things, but you really cannot train a cat to act like a dog totally.

Siamese, Ocicats, Rexes are some of the breeds that tend to act more dog-like. They fetch, talk a lot, are more inclined to hang out with you and help you "work". But as far as alerting you to someone at the door, probably not. If they do, it would not be on a consistant basis.

I had a mixed breed cat that I trained to do a few tricks, he would come when called, shake hands and do a few other tricks. Charlie (our Ocicat) lives with a dog and does a lot of things the dog does (but not on a consistent basis).

I had a rex that would more/less "heel" when following you around, did a few tricks, etc.

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The trainability aspect depends on the cat...
Some cats are food motivated, for example, I have taught my 7month old kittens "tricks" by rewarding their natural behaviors with food... Not to the point of voice commands yet, but when I hold the treat above nile's head, he stands on his back feet and gets the treat. When I make a "come here" motion with my fingers, niles will come. When I touch my thumb and forefinger together (as in holding a treat), Frasier will touch my fingers with his paw.... All of that from watching them and noticing that niles likes to stand and frasier likes to paw things and rewarding with food...

In the same way, you could use toys, etc. I also once trained my cat boots to walk on a leash and "stay". When he did the behaviours that I wanted, he got what he wanted most...to be left alone...Note that this was loonggg before I knew anything about animal behaviour.

That said, if you always reward affection, attention, and when they come when you call them, then it is more likely that they will repeat those rewarding behaviors.

As to personality... That is more tellable in an adult cat.
When I adopted my adult toby, I looked specficially for a friendly cat that would choose to be with me, even in a petsmart adoption room (of all places! with people and other cats around). I tried several cats, most of which found the other cats and/or toys more interesting than me, but toby went out of his way to be with me...even follow me to the other end of the room, on first meeting. That was why I got him.

With my kittens, I was lucky. I raised them from 4 weeks old, not having any idea what their temperment would be like. They have turned out to be affectionate. It's probably mostly temperment, but I think that my being affectionate with them helped encourage that part of their personality.

All of that said, I would suggust, that if you can, you might want to get a second kitten or young adult cat. That would help solve some of the behavioral issues people have with ktitens (i.e. them wanting to play "fight" and "bite" YOU ). When they have a "buddy" they learn to bite/fight play with the buddy and not with you. It might also give you a chance to find an adult (or older kitten) with the personality you want.

If you can't get another cat, I would definately suggust not "rewarding" any agressive behavior (i.e. biting you, pouncing on your feet, etc.) with attention or playing back... Try to ignor them and redirect them to a toy or more appropriate thing.

Art

ghosthunterbeck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sham

Most animal training principals and methods apply just as well to kids. No you don't stick them on a collar and leash but overall the psychological aspect and how you respond (negatively, positively, excitement level... etc.) works the same. My friend's a teacher and I have lots of experience training different animals. When I start a discussion of training principals that apply to all animals she ends up coming up with examples and situations of applying the exact same thing to children. The reverse also happens. When she discusses issues she's had getting the children to behave or learn I start coming up with examples of how I got an animal to be more willing.
You misunderstand. I'm not talking about training methods, I'm talking about the behaviors themselves. For example, I'm not going to teach my children to "fetch" or take them for walks like I would my dog. Nor am I going to expect him to hold my hand when crossing the street as I would with my children