Dog owners: In the bed or out?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, I have been letting Brody sleep in the bed at night since his terrible vet visit. I guess I felt bad for him.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our first dog, a 38 lb Corgi, slept in the bed with us. He scared me to death one morning though. I opened my eyes, expecting to see my fair complexed, light blue eyed husbands face on his pillow- what I see is a black hairy face , with brown eyes, about six inches from my nose on my DH's pillow, staring at me (he's laying on his side
), waiting for me to wake up
I didn't need any coffee!

Our new dog, however, is a 57 lb Boxer- she can get in the bed while we are reading, while the lights are still on, but has to get in her own bed (memory foam with a blanket- don't feel sorry for her
) when it's actually time to sleep. She also sleeps on the couch (is covered
) and gets in our recliners to sleep, but she knows that when I want my chair, she'd better scoot (it has this funny way of tipping up in the back when commands are ignored- she doesn't like that!
LOL!)

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My dog sleeps with me every night. Snuggles right up under the covers. I don't have a problem with it, niether does my boyfriend.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by squirtle

Well, I have been letting Brody sleep in the bed at night since his terrible vet visit. I guess I felt bad for him.
Now he'll expect to sleep there all the time.

breal76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Halo is allowed on the bed while I am awake. He doesn't sleep with me because he doesn't want to. He will just jump off and go to his own cushy bed on the floor.

However he is the only one allowed to sleep in my room at night. NO CATS ALLOWED!

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The dogs are allowed to sleep wherever they want to.

Mia spends mostof her day on the couch under a blanket (she's a mexican hairless, even though she's wearing clothes, it's still cold until spring) though when the warmer weather comes i imagine she'll be in here with me. At night she sleeps RIGHT beside me under the covers. you don't need any heat on when she's under there, with her breathing and everything, it's a furnace. Lol.

Apollo being 90lbs only has his restrictions if we are all on the couch.. sometimes we do make room for him, it depends on how many people are there and if we are eating dinner or not.
He does sleep on the bed with me usually at the foot.. but I've been sleeping with my door closed because of my 2 foster kitties.
I imagine he will be one happy dog when the cats go to their new homes on Friday night.

eagleeye

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My current dog, Stockey the pit bull, is allowed to sleep on the bed between DH and me. Stockey is polite and is a great snuggler on cold nights. The only problem is that he curls up into a ball and pulls all of the covers into his field of gravity. We had to buy a king sized comforter for our queen sized bed to make sure there's enough coverage! Occasionally, he'll end up sleeping on my hair (which is rather long) and I have to wash it in the morning.
Oh, then there are his doggey dreams where he yips and yaps and pats his feet on my back.

My terrier-poodle mix Isis (RIP) was banned from the bed because she would sleep at my feet and growl at me if I toss and turned. I feared for the safety of my toes, so that was that.

I guess my point is that it's fine to let your dog sleep in the bed if it doesn't interfere with your sleep or affect your dog's attitude. Sleeping on the bed is a privilege, not a right.