dog hunt much harder than expected!

ticky-tags

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have to agree with the pit or pit X's with you guys, too! Although I don't have children, my pittie is wonderful with young kids. He gets very happy when he sees them, but he never jumps on them. He's very gentle.

I've also known of many others who have pit/mixes and they're wonderful with children.

Working at a doggie day care, I've seen more aggressive labs and goldens then most other "dangerous" breeds. I was actually attacked my first week there by a choc lab.

2dogmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know what you might try-check the ads in your local free weekly paper from people who have gotten a puppy and after a few months realize it is too much work for them. The dogs often have nice personalities but need training. And they will be use dto kids if there were kids in the family obviously.
You won't have to put up with the hassle of dealing with a rescue. If you have little kids then many toy breed rescues won't adopt to you anyway, and many purebred rescues make it so hard to get a dog that you don't stand a chance of getting a dog from them as it is.

Good luck to you!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Westies are great little dogs... I dont personally recommend them for young kids thou( under 8) as they are terriers and can be a bit cantacerous

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are concerned with shedding - do NOT get a lab or a GSD - those really are the worse in shedding. The only drawback to labs (we have one and love her) is the shedding!

They are great with kids of all ages. HOWEVER, if you get a lab puppy, be sure to take to training very early - they grow fast and can accidently knock down a small child (especially with their tails!). Keno is very patient with kids, she does get excited with company but she's well trained and when told to sit, she does - we do not allow her to jump on people, but many labs are so happy with people its very hard to contain themselves

You might want to look into lab or golden rescue groups for an older dog that is more trained in commands and better around kids.

I love Snicker's pups - it would be wonderful to adopt one (I'd really like to get the spotted ones if they grew up to look like a lab).

Personally if given the choice again for another dog (as much as I love labs) I'd really want a whippet or greyhound.

andrea742

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Unless your getting a pure bred dog, it won't matter what your looking for in a dog LOL. Any part of the different breeds they have in them could surface.

That being said, I love mutts
I have 2. Both big black dogs. Mine are great with kids. I don't have kids, but lots of neices and nephews that come over.

Any dog can be the odd one out and not conform to the breed.

As far as trusting any dog with kids, nope! Even with my old dog Wilma. If a kid hurts her by accident I can't say how she would react. And she is one of the sweetest dogs I have ever known! So none of my dogs are ever left with kids alone...