Dog Health Question

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a friend from work, who's 12 year old Sheltie was diagnosed a couple of weeks ago with lymphosarcoma. I don't know the particulars, but Gracie (the Sheltie) was prescribed prednisone and sent home. MaryAnn, Gracie's mom, said that the lumps around Gracie's neck and on her back have decreased dramatically in size. Gracie has not had any biopsies or x-rays to diagnose the lymphosarcoma, I believe the vet just gave that diagnosis after physical exam.

MaryAnn would like to know if it's okay to treat Gracie with HeartGuard (for heart worm) and Revolution (tick & fleas) while she's still on the prednisone. I've Googled it, and can't really come up with a definitive answer. MaryAnn and her husband have a cottage in northern Michigan, and Gracie is outside often. There's no formal mosquito control up north, like there is here in town, so Gracie would definitely be exposed. I don't get the feeling that MaryAnn is totally confident with this vet's diagnosis, although she is happy that the prednisone seems to be working at this point. I suggested a second opinion (my own vet is awesome!!!) but I'm not sure she will do it.

Thanks for any info or insight you can supply!

lorina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Her best bet would be to ask her vet, someone who's familiar with the Gracie, her overall health and her condition.

One thing that does concern me... Revolution is also a heartworm preventative, in addition to fleas, ticks and some intestinal parasites. There should be no need to be on Heartgard while on Revolution. Plus, many herding breeds (collies, shelties, aussies, etc.) are sensitive to the active ingredient in Heartgard.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree to have her call her vet to verify.

I've had dogs on pred where I've given them Heartguard and Frontline at the same time. These dogs were middle aged (e.g. younger than 12) and all 3 drugs came from the same vet. I've never used Revolution so can't speak for that.

Poor baby! Are they going to try to remove the lesions?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ask the vet( 2 or 3 if one can) ... but also research as noted above some cant handle this ingrediant..

I no longer give any std preventatives to my dogs since both have medical issues

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your replies. I will try to convince MaryAnn to get a second opinion. I didn't realize Revolution also worked for heart worm. I'm going to go do some more research!

I know that I'm reluctant to give any unnecessary medications to my two CRF kitties. I just don't want to stress their immune systems. I would think that Gracie's immune system would be further suppressed by the prednisone.

Yes, I agree, a second opinion really is imperative.

Thanks again!

The only problem I see is on the Revolution website http://www.revolution4dogs.com/conte...ies=CN&sec=000 it specifically says "Do not use in sick, weak or underweight animals." So that would make me think that it would be contraindicated for Gracie.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lorina

Plus, many herding breeds (collies, shelties, aussies, etc.) are sensitive to the active ingredient in Heartgard.
Wow...I didn't know this! I'm not a dog person, so I really am clueless about heartworm and heartworm treatments......or Shelties, or any other dogs, for that matter, lol!

My cats are strictly indoors, and my town has very effective mosquito control (we have nearly no mosquitos in town) so it really has never been an issue for me! I don't remember the last time I had a mosquito bite, but I'm willing to bet that it has been more than 3 or 4 years...

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the Sheltie has taken Heartgard before without any problems, then she doesn't carry the gene that makes it a problem for the herding group.

Was a needle biospy done? I would question the use of prednisone alone to treat a lymphoma or lymphosarcoma. Prednisone is used in combination with other chemotherapy drugs, however. If the Sheltie is receiving chemotherapy, then I definitely wouldn't risk the other medications. There would be a greater risk of organ damage and the chemo meds would probably kill off the heartworms, ticks, etc. And I base this on the fact that our patients on chemo never caught colds or flu while on treatment.