Does your landlord know....

vibiana

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've lived in my building for more than eight years, longer than any of its other tenants, and I lived there for seven before I got my first cat. The management has changed hands several times in the last year and a half, and while I have kept them apprised of my growing menagerie, I never really asked permission. LOL I have had so much trouble with maintenance issues that they're not about to piss me off and make me move out. Besides, I'm a good steady tenant who pays her rent on time, keeps her apartment clean, and doesn't bother the neighbors. Not the kind of tenant they want to lose.

rachelh1018

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Before we moved into a condo, we lived in an apartment. We hid my two kitties because it would have cost $200 each to have them. I think our landlord thinks we only have one cat and a dog now.

marilyn777

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm fortunate I live in a building that allows animals or else I wouldn't have moved in. My cats and now a dog go anywhere I do I couldn't live in a place without them it would be so lonely and sterile.

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yes he is aware although we have never offered an exact head count on the cats..he doesnt ask. the dogs have done some damage that we will repair, or allow him to keep the damage deposit

ascat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I first adopted Cougar, I lived in an apartment but was planning to move about 2 or 3 months from then. We were suppsed to pay a $200 non-refundable deposit and I had to pay $10 a month rent for the cat. I always thought that was so ignorant so I just never told them. Then they found picky stuff to keep most of my security deposit so I didnt toally win

sammie5

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My landlord MADE me get a cat. He was tired of paying an exterminator to come look after the mouse problem. The cat fixed that. I told him I was getting a second cat, he didn't care. He loves animals, has a dog and 4 cats himself.

vibiana

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sammie ... your post made me smile. I wonder what a mouse would think if he wandered into my place. LMAO

bmmac

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The company that owns my apartment complex know I have a cat. I already had a cat when the no pet policy went into affect so she was grandfathered into the lease. They made everyone who has pets give them a photo because when their gone we're not supposed to get a new pet. Fortunately, after Pretty died I talked to the manager and she agreed to let me get Tia, we switched the picture on file and that was that. I think if I didn't already have a non-refundable deposit I wouldn't have been able to get a new kitty. My apartment manager is a cat lover, takes her two to cat shows. Now I just wish I could get another one, but my limit is one and there is no way I could hide it. I have a ground floor apartment with sliding glass doors which Tia and Pretty are/were always sunning themselve for the world to see. The maintenance garage is in the basement of my building and the guys who maintain the property are always cutting through my building. No doubt they would notice a new arrival.

Beth
(Tia's Mom)

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My land lord knows about the boys, but not about Maggie. I had Isaac for several months before I told the L.L. about him. I don't think he would care about Maggie because the last time he was in my appartment he said, "If I didn't see your cats I wouldn't even know you had them, there's no smell at all." I've lived there almost 7 years now & pay my rent on time. So I think he's just happy to have me there.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Back in the 80's, we lived in a very large apartment complex. We had several secret cats. One day, when I was in class (I was taking college courses at the time) I was talking about my cat that just had a litter. When one gal butted in and said that she knew who I was and that we had better get rid of them. She was the new apartment manager!! Just my luck!! We moved shortly thereafter to a place we could have our kitties.

At that apartment complex, hubby and my roommate's MOTHER was the apartment manager. So she definately knew about Kiki, Bear and Smokey. Smokey was Kiki's daughter and lives with former roommate in San Jose. Bear lived there but now has gone over the rainbow bridge. Kiki went over the bridge in 2004 at age 20. We miss her soooo much!!

Now, no one can say anything about our cats, since we own the place!

gil

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rang_27

My land lord knows about the boys, but not about Maggie. I had Isaac for several months before I told the L.L. about him. I don't think he would care about Maggie because the last time he was in my apartment he said, "If I didn't see your cats I wouldn't even know you had them, there's no smell at all." I've lived there almost 7 years now & pay my rent on time. So I think he's just happy to have me there.
True..I live in a large building, and they give us plenty of notice when they plan to come in for repairs or whatever. In reality, most states require a landlord give the tennant 24 hrs notice before entering the premesis, but we all know laws are meant to be broken. Thankfully, I've had no problems. Even if I didn't have pets, I would hope the landlord would respect my privacy enough not to just walk into my space anytime he or she pleases.

I'm eventually going to get a house, because apt. living is getting old

gil

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bmmac

The maintenance garage is in the basement of my building and the guys who maintain the property are always cutting through my building. No doubt they would notice a new arrival.Beth
(Tia's Mom)
I have a feeling the maintenance people know about my extra visitors, but frankly, I think they are pissed at the landlord/leasing company for paying them so little, they don't care. One guy who fixed my sink told me he has quite a few cats himself, so he's understanding.

eupnea

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes. If I didn't tell him and was found out, I would have to pay a $100 fine and risk being evicted, which is much worse than the $25 a month pet fee that I have to pay.

graykittenlove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boys are hidden kitties as well. I'd have to pay a $300 pet deposit plus $25 buck everymonth on each of them. An extra $100, I don't think so people. I've lived here for and a half years and haven't gotten caught so far. I will replace the blinds that Gandalf has ruined before I move out but I figure they're going to find a way to keep my security deposit any way they can so I'm stopping there. Other than the blinds though the boys haven't really damaged anything that I know of. Now that may change when I move out but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

If I get caught, I'll pay up and just ride out the next five and a half months. I'm planning on moving back in with my parents for a while to give all of us a chance to become more financially stable and they both love the boy so no problems there. Man will I be glad to get out of this apartment, the neighbors when I moved in were but several of them have moved on and some of the new people are not so great.

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, they know about Summer, however, they decided to waive all of the pet fees because they liked us a lot!

mistys mum

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We had to pay a pet deposit of $100 not sure if it is refundable though. We have 1 small dog on the lease and 1 cat. But we have 2 dogs and 4 cats also tropical fish ( the fish, i didn't even think about asking if I can have, but it will be a bit to hard to hid them.) We pay $1,200.a month rent and the agent comes through the house every 6months. I have always hated that even though I keep a clean house, pay rent and utilities on time and don't hassle any of the neighbours I have to ask if I can have a pet it is like being a child needing permission to keep the cat or dog that just followed me home. And yes I have and will move out instead of finding new homes for any of my pet family.