Does your cat's breath smell bad?

mrod1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I am glad everything is Okay!! Buddy went in for a check up a five month and was declared to be teething and mild gingivitis, and the Clavamox cleared it right up.

Hopefully soon, there will be no more stinky breath. Buddy is about 6 1/2 months now, he is still teething, but no more stinky breath

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sumosmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MRod1

I am glad everything is Okay!! Buddy went in for a check up a five month and was declared to be teething and mild gingivitis, and the Clavamox cleared it right up.

Hopefully soon, there will be no more stinky breath. Buddy is about 6 1/2 months now, he is still teething, but no more stinky breath
That's great!! I'm glad Buddy is doing well, too. I guess Buddy and Kuri are about the same age. They could be friends!! Cute!
I really have to get around to putting a siggy together with their pictures (Kuri and big sis Geisha)! Thanks for writing!

elizabeth1st

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Both my cats have bad breath- really bad... When they wrestle with each other, lick each other, the smelly breath is all over their fur. They are 5 and 7m and altho' adult teeth are erupting, their gums and teeth look fine. I will ask the vet next time I visit. I had a Golden Retriever that had awful breath, unrelated to any significant health issues. She had her teeth cleaned periodically and for a few hours her breath would be sweet. Even one vet expressed surprise! Looks like I've been blessed again! I hope these cats don't develop anal gland probs -- another stenchy bit. It might be worth trying probiotics....
Cheers!

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Both my cats have bad breath- really bad... When they wrestle with each other, lick each other, the smelly breath is all over their fur. They are 5 and 7m and altho' adult teeth are erupting, their gums and teeth look fine. I will ask the vet next time I visit. I had a Golden Retriever that had awful breath, unrelated to any significant health issues. She had her teeth cleaned periodically and for a few hours her breath would be sweet. Even one vet expressed surprise! Looks like I've been blessed again! I hope these cats don't develop anal gland probs -- another stenchy bit. It might be worth trying probiotics....
Cheers!
Hi, I don't know if you noticed how old this post is and when the last post was made?  I just noticed in it recent site activity and read through as my boy previously had an issue with this. I know you say your cats teeth and gums look fine but I really do urge you to take them along to your vet - sooner rather than later.  Cats' breath shouldn't smell and if it is it is an indicator that something isn't right, whether it is digestive or something in the mouth /nose/gullet areas that is causing it. By the time you can see there is a problem either because your cats' gums are red and inflamed, or they stop eating, or they have a really obvious sinus infection, they could be very ill and in a lot of pain. Also, what ever is causing the smell may be much harder to sort out.  

This is coming from a person who did not know how that cat's breath should not smell and it was an indicator of health issues, and once I did I thought it was just about teething as he was around 6 or 7 months and his breath had got worse as his adult teeth came through.  His breath smelt what I would describe as 'meaty' all the time and his fur smelt after he had groomed himself.  By then my cat had bleeding gums which became visible very suddenly, stopped eating and at the vets was found to have septic tonsillitis, a very deep and painful lesion on his tongue, and was generally unwell and in a lot of pain. I felt extremely guilty and foolish and it was a lesson I wish I had never had to learn that way.  Be aware that teeth can be damaged below the gum line and you will not be able to see everything that is going on in your cats' mouths - they need to see someone with the appropriate knowledge and experience.  My cat's health has since been managed through prescription diet, twice daily oral hygiene routine of tooth brushing with enzyme toothpaste, daily oral inspections, and regular vet visits to check up on any concerns  (2 years on his mouth is managed well but needs close monitoring).

If you want more specific advice on this for your cats you may want to start your own thread and give a little more information about your cats. 

Good luck!