Does your cat vocalize whenever he/she jumps?

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sqeeker does this. I've been watching him for a few days and it is every time. He's a very nervous boy who was born and raised in foster. I always thought it was just another thing related to his nerves. It's one of his lesser and cuter oddities.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sqeeker does this. I've been watching him for a few days and it is every time. He's a very nervous boy who was born and raised in foster. I always thought it was just another thing related to his nerves. It's one of his lesser and cuter oddities.
Willy is very laid-back and always has been. He imprinted on humans immediately, as he was rescued by my mom and I, and instantly bonded.

I truly wonder how the initial life experience affects this. I'm sure there is no definite answer that applies to all cats, and is likely a personality thing. But it's one of those things that piques my scientific curiosity.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Willy is very laid-back and always has been. He imprinted on humans immediately, as he was rescued by my mom and I, and instantly bonded.

I truly wonder how the initial life experience affects this. I'm sure there is no definite answer that applies to all cats, and is likely a personality thing. But it's one of those things that piques my scientific curiosity.
Having been born into a family "with cat" I've always thought myself "part cat" and the line between species is very thin. Some "scientific experts" believe cats are more sensitive than humans (and I concur) and that the emotive parts of their brains are the closest to ours. I've always believed that how one is treated during formative years (or in the case of cats, weeks and months) is key to the kind of adult one becomes.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Having been born into a family "with cat" I've always thought myself "part cat" and the line between species is very thin. Some "scientific experts" believe cats are more sensitive than humans (and I concur) and that the emotive parts of their brains are the closest to ours. I've always believed that how one is treated during formative years (or in the case of cats, weeks and months) is key to the kind of adult one becomes.
Well, I'm positive that Willy is so loving because we rescued him.

He was near-death when he first showed up. Extremely emaciated, covered with mites, coughing and sneezing. We took him to the vet, which was traumatic for him, but as soon as he got home and was fed a few meals, he became the most loving guy I've ever known. Instant lap-kneading.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I'm positive that Willy is so loving because we rescued him.

He was near-death when he first showed up. Extremely emaciated, covered with mites, coughing and sneezing. We took him to the vet, which was traumatic for him, but as soon as he got home and was fed a few meals, he became the most loving guy I've ever known. Instant lap-kneading.
Cats are mammals, like we are. Mammals are hard-wired to need, and thrive on, affectionate interaction. Survival is intrinsic to us all. When we are in extremis, the saviors of our lives are of course very highly regarded, needed, and loved. One doesn't need a PhD to figure that out, right? The deepest bonds are formed between (caring!) mother and child, for the same reason.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are mammals, like we are. Mammals are hard-wired to need, and thrive on, affectionate interaction. Survival is intrinsic to us all. When we are in extremis, the saviors of our lives are of course very highly regarded, needed, and loved. One doesn't need a PhD to figure that out, right? The deepest bonds are formed between (caring!) mother and child, for the same reason.
Yes! If you are at all interested -- this is unrelated to this forum, but I think related in a tangentially related way to this thread -- I found a YouTube channel about an Australian woman who professionally rescues flying foxes in her country.

You can see the transformation when she initially rescues them... Say, one has crash-landed on a human property and hit his/her head. They scream and complain when she captures them, but once they learn she is helping and caring for them, it is usually a fast transition where these wild mammals catch on, due to their intelligence.

https://youtube.com/@Megabattie

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You can see the transformation when she initially rescues them... Say, one has crash-landed on a human property and hit his/her head. They scream and complain when she captures them, but once they learn she is helping and caring for them, it is usually a fast transition where these wild mammals catch on, due to their intelligence.
In this scenario, the humans are trying to snatch Sqeeker from the land of Cat. No matter how kind and well meaning they are unwelcome. He will take the food, lodging, and occasional brushing otherwise he wants other cats.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes! If you are at all interested -- this is unrelated to this forum, but I think related in a tangentially related way to this thread -- I found a YouTube channel about an Australian woman who professionally rescues flying foxes in her country.

https://youtube.com/@Megabattie
Fascinating, uplifting, and life-affirming! Thanks so much for sharing this. I'll revisit it to see more videos.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fascinating, uplifting, and life-affirming! Thanks so much for sharing this. I'll revisit it to see more videos.
The ones with flying fox babies are the cutest things ever. I've seen some fans describe flying foxes as "sky puppies." Definitely super-cute animals which we never encounter in the western hemisphere.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The ones with flying fox babies are the cutest things ever. I've seen some fans describe flying foxes as "sky puppies." Definitely super-cute animals which we never encounter in the western hemisphere.
Not a "dog person" AT ALL, but the tiny bats are so adorable! Their faces resemble cats,' with their little sharp teeth.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not a "dog person" AT ALL, but the tiny bats are so adorable! Their faces resemble cats,' with their little sharp teeth.
Haha, I know, those videos get you hooked. Also, the creator (Meg) is so good with them.

You are right, they are kind of like combining cats and dogs, with wings 😅 So adorable though. I love watching them.

I also love how Meg herself calls herself a "crazy bat lady." Reminds me so much of the "crazy cat lady" label here. But in an Australian context.

I feel like I have permission to derail this thread because it is my own, but I'm still hoping maybe others will chime in with info about their own personality-plus cats who trill every singlentime they jump. 😅 Willy was a random outdoor rescue, so maybe he has a brother or sister.

Last edited:

ollie4444

mother to many
Young Cat
Purraise
Willy vocalizes literally EVERY time he jumps, either up onto something, or down from something. It's always a little chirrup, an "Mmm" sound.
3 (out of 5) of my cats do this sometimes, but my Ozzy baby always does it- I dont think its a cause for concern or anything its just something adorable that they do <3 he also does it when he's about to poo/pee lol

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
3 (out of 5) of my cats do this sometimes, but my Ozzy baby always does it- I dont think its a cause for concern or anything its just something adorable that they do <3 he also does it when he's about to poo/pee lol
Haha... Willy gets zoomies and yowls ALWAYS before pooping. He runs around the living room, jumps on things, yells for a while, then makes a beeline for the litter box.

ollie4444

mother to many
Young Cat
Purraise
Haha... Willy gets zoomies and yowls ALWAYS before pooping. He runs around the living room, jumps on things, yells for a while, then makes a beeline for the litter box.
aww he's letting yall know he's about to stink it up 😭

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
aww he's letting yall know he's about to stink it up 😭
Yeah, he sure does.

I read somewhere that it's not uncommon for cats to get anxiety/zoomies around pooping, because in the wild, they bury it and want to disguise the scent. So they want to get the job done, and leave it quickly.

So, pooping quickly, and bolting out of the litter box is something I've read many cat owners experience.

But getting agitated before the deed seems less common. I'm just guessing that it's got to be related to some degree.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is something I never could figure out. I've heard a few other cat people report this, but definitely not a common thing.
Willy vocalizes literally EVERY time he jumps, either up onto something, or down from something. It's always a little chirrup, an "Mmm" sound.
I know of many cats doing this. My previous two cats would do that very often, not always, but very often.
One of my current cats does this most times, I'd say nearly every time she jumps down from something, a little less often when she jumps up onto something. It's not a meow, it's just a hint of it, sort of a short "MMRR".
Somewhere I had read that most cats do this thing to announce their arrival, even if nobody is there to listen to it, though someone thinks that cats shouldn't announce their arrival because they are predators.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, my cats do just the same, yowling and meowing out loud next their litter box for about 15 minutes before they actually go in it. They drive me crazy!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a better one... Geoffrey wakes me up, to tell me he pooped!! OMG.. Who taught him that??
During the day, he will come up to me, meow, and stare at me, until I go over to the litter box... Again, Who taught him that??

All I have done, is say: "Good Boy".. when he does poop.... Got into that habit with Artie..

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Toffee likes to let me know he's here when he jumps down from a ledge in the garden or from the sofa - he'll always do a little "chirrup" followed by a meow.