Does your cat understand language? Talk?

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine understand quite a few things that we say:
Of course they each know their own name.....and Toby will say "Hummmm?" (like "Yeeees???") when he is called or spoken to by his name. (Tedy just comes running thinking there must be food to be had!)
If I ask, "You Guys wanna get brushed?"...they go over to the cupboard where their brush is kept and lay down waiting.
If I say "Dad is home!"......Tedy will run and sit on the rug by the back door till he comes in. It probably helps that he always brings a treat from the bag he keeps in his truck....which Tedy LOVES....but Toby does not. (He`s not as much of a would-be-junk-food-junkie as Tedy would like to be)
If i say "I SEE YOU TOBY!" ...he will run and hide and wait for me to "find" him....then i hide and call him and he comes and finds me. If he did`nt actually see where I hid, he`ll come into the hallways and yowl "Rrrroow?" (actually does sound like a ? mark at the end too) because he wants me to call his name again so that he can tell where the sound of my voice is coming form for sure. Tedy does`nt like to play this Hide-N-Seek game....but he sure is intrested in watching us play.
If I ask "Do you guys want the winow open?" ...Even before I make a move towards the window Toby will jump up on the sill and try to hurry me.
If i go outside they will often run to the door as if they want to go out too (Toby has escaped twice before !) but when I say "NO!" they will both lay down on their sides on the rug as if to say "Who me? Why I was`nt going to try to get out! I was just going to lay here and nap on the rug!"
The latest new thing that Toby has started the past few weeks (and this does`nt have as much to do with his understanding my words as it does with me trying to understand him) is that when I get after him he will walk away from me saying "Rat, rat, rat, rat!"....and I`m not sure if he`s just meaning "yea, yea, yea, yea...I`ve heard it all before" ...or if he`s actually calling me names!!! What do you think?
CATS! Are`nt they fun??????

jacquestrap

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My old cat I've had for 2 years knows things like "F--- off!!" and "Come here" as well as certain sounds that mean snuggles.

He's fairly vocal too, yowls at me when I get up in the morning, I think it's because he thinks that this will be the day he gets wet food. Also, if I stare at him long enough he'll meow.

3cutekitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Prada understands "want some" (when we are getting her wet food out for dinner) she runs to the closet where we keep it and waits (tobie is learning from her and just follows her lead...he is too cute) and andrew and I laugh because after one of us leaves in the morning and she runs over "talking" and we always joke that she is tellin on someone...if he leaves w/out giving her a treat she "talks" about him for 10 minutes. My neighbors probably think I am crazy, getting ready for work and holding a convo with my cat. hehe