Does your cat throw a "tantrum"?

littlemelissa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat Patuña, acts up when I am clipping her nails! I try to make her feel relaxed but she still goes crazy :/ like tonight she would hiss at me and bite my finger , I kind of don't know what to do! Help please, ideas?

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's not just your girl, a lot of cats dislike having their nails cut!

One of the best things you can do is just to slowly get her used to it. I start by playing with their paws when they are laying around to get them used to having the nail flexed out. Then I move up to clipping just one or two nails and giving a treat and some extra affection and praise. At first you want to keep nail cutting sessions really short (hence only one or two toes at a time at first) so that she doesn't get irritated by it. In theory by doing it this way you can work up to cutting them all while she is just vegging out with little reaction. Between the slow integration, the yummy treats, and the extra cuddle a lot of cats just get used to it and go with the flow. 

However, some cats just hate it. My older girl is one who flees the room whenever she sees the clippers and there are no amount of treats that would keep her put. For her I go with the burrito method. Meaning, I wrap her up snug and tight in a blanket and pull her paws out one by one and cut them. Admittedly this method requires two people. It's not ideal but the snugness of the blanket calms her and at least makes the process bearable. 

Putting nail caps on her or having the vet/groomer trim them are also options to consider if the process gets too crazy. 

Whatever method you go with just try to make it as enjoyable as possible. Once my older girl is un-burritoed I sit with her for a few minutes petting her and telling her how great she did. It's always best to end things on a positive note to try and minimize the trauma and negative association that nail cutting can bring! 

Good luck!