Does your cat love the sample food but won't eat the real deal?

catlover7731

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I thought I finally found it , a dry cat food that is premium and my Zeus liked
, He loved the sample packs. So I went out and bought a big bag. and guess what he wont touch it
. He is just going to have to learn to like it because I give up

portdevoix

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Why insist on dry food? Have you tried feeding him something closer to his natural diet? Even canned food is closer to it than kibble.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlover7731

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He is a picky eater but I do feed canned in the morning and night and free feed dry during the day and night. I feed him right now Innova canned and am waithing for Active life to be sold again. The dry , that I was talking about is california natural, he loves dry but I know it is not as good as canned.

portdevoix

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catlover7731

He is a picky eater but I do feed canned in the morning and night and free feed dry during the day and night. I feed him right now Innova canned and am waithing for Active life to be sold again. The dry , that I was talking about is california natural, he loves dry but I know it is not as good as canned.
If he eats canned in the morning and evening, and free feeds dry, then I wouldn't worry so much whether he LIKES the dry. He WILL eat it if hungry enough.

I feed my kittens in exactly the same way. Their main food is the canned. I would take them completely off the dry food, but I'm afraid that they wouldn't eat anything at all if I'm gone for a day or two, and not able to feed them on schedule. I leave the dry food out so that they're used to having it around as backup food. They don't eat much of it at all, and that's fine. Right now I feed them a variety of canned foods (so far they aren't picky), until I have done enough research to switch them to a properly supplemented raw diet, with a premium dry food as backup.

I am of the high-protein camp as far as feeding carnivores. If a homemade raw diet isn't feasible for you, a premium canned food is a preferable alternative to the carb-laden kibbles that are out there.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's really not a true statement that cats will eat if they get hungry enough. If they stop eating, they get caught in a viscious cycle of anorexia in their body and won't want to eat.

You want your cat to be eating something or he can become quite ill quickly.

portdevoix

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

That's really not a true statement that cats will eat if they get hungry enough. If they stop eating, they get caught in a viscious cycle of anorexia in their body and won't want to eat.

You want your cat to be eating something or he can become quite ill quickly.
The cat IS eating: canned, morning and evening...

cjandbilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried the moist dry food? I know that's an oxymoron, but, they make moist dry food. Maybe he'll like that? If not, I don't know what to tell ya.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Jamie does that to me all the time - goes nuts over the samples (wet or dry), and after I've bought a case of the canned, or a 5 lb. bag of the dry, he decides he doesn't like it. So the food gets carted off to the local shelter, or our neighbor's cats get it.