Does your cat love plastic bags?

mysterycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mine yes, he is always playing with plastic bags, he would hide inside then suddenly come out! It saves money lol

Does you cat love plastic bags too?

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just be careful... they can get tangled up in the openings for the handles... and plastic has a high suffocation risk. Do not let your cats play in plastic w/o direct supervision.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

Just be careful... they can get tangled up in the openings for the handles... and plastic has a high suffocation risk. Do not let your cats play in plastic w/o direct supervision.
the above and the fact is that MOST if not ALL plastic bags have animal fat in them thus they are appealing to eat but dangerous

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

the above and the fact is that MOST if not ALL plastic bags have animal fat in them thus they are appealing to eat but dangerous
I forgot about that.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats would love to play with plastic bags too, but I don't let them.

I give them paper bags instead, just as rustly, and much safer.

Always cut the handles on any bags your cats play with.

They love Paper Bag Forts

Newspapers make great Portable Tents, too

zirpkatze

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
some of mine like bags. they like the paper ones better than plastic which has the added bonus of no strangulation risk

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We don't have plastic bags here, but my cats love our reusable green bags. They will sleep on them and play inside.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I always cut the handles and supervise them when playing. After playtime, I put them in the cabinet. They get very excited when I open the cabinet door! Mine aren't big fans of paper bags. Callie used to be, but isn't now. Hannah doesn't like the nose they make.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I discourage mine from playing with any plastic as much as I possibly can. Accidents happen (people drop or leave things out) and I don't want my cats thinking they can play with plastic.

Stick with paper or get some crinkle tubes and caves (the tubes and caves aren't free, but they'll last for years). Mylar, crinkle balls, and other safe toys that make crinkly noises can provide them with plenty of entertainment.

bookworm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ever since one of my feral rescues got caught in a bag as a kitten and it "chased" him around the house while he was in a panic I
ve kept them securely put up. Ghost does her best to get hold of them, but thanks to opposable thumbs I can still foil her.

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Larry's afraid of plastic bags for some reason. Whenever I'm rustling one near him, he runs the other way.

Something traumatic must have happened to him out on the streets before he was rescued.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mysterycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by nanner

Larry's afraid of plastic bags for some reason. Whenever I'm rustling one near him, he runs the other way.

Something traumatic must have happened to him out on the streets before he was rescued.
sad...

anyway I think I should try paper bags and newspaper too! Cats are really amazing they can find happiness even in a small thing

alicatjoy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats would probably love playing with plastic bags, but they're a big no-no for them (for the reasons listed above). Instead, any plastic bags that are brought into the house are put in their proper place on the porch (where the kitties are not allowed) until they are to be recycled. I also don't allow them to play with or in paper bags unless they are being supervised -- and always with the handles already cut off. But, usually, the paper bags aren't a draw for the kitties. They'd much prefer their toys instead.

I second the use of crinkle mats, cubes, and tunnels. My cats have a variety of different crinkle toys and they love them! Mylar balls are also a favorite, but I don't allow them to play with them without supervision since a friend's cat nearly died after choking on a piece of mylar he tried to eat. Thankfully, his owner was home and acted quickly. There are a lot of toys available that make fun sounds that seem to get kitties interested. And, there are a ton of homemade toys too -- crumpled paper being a favorite! I'd just always suggest watching your cat before allowing them to play with a toy (homemade or purchased) unsupervised.

mazobear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My three love plastic, but I never let them play with it b/c of the above reasons but also b/c I heard somewhere that plastic is toxic. Maggie and Mazo especially love to lick it, so I have to put the bags away immediately. But they also love paper bags (with the handles cut.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mysterycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Maybe I should not allow him to play plastic bags

brookesphynx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Whoa! I didn't know that. That explains why Nelson and Mandy go nuts licking and chewing on grocery bags. I'm extra careful not to leave them out, but until I got these 2 cats, I'd never had a cat try to eat a plastic bag!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BrookeSphynx

I'm extra careful not to leave them out, but until I got these 2 cats, I'd never had a cat try to eat a plastic bag!
Only two out of my seven inside are interested in plastic bags. Because I repeatedly told them no and moved them away from plastic, I can use plastic bags in small trashcans without fear that they'll think it's an edible toy. All other bags are quickly put away.

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bookworm

Ever since one of my feral rescues got caught in a bag as a kitten and it "chased" him around the house while he was in a panic I
ve kept them securely put up.
The same thing happened a few years ago to Moose. He got caught in a plastic bag and went berserk. Rocky chased him all over the house and they ended up getting into a huge fight. I had to separate and reintroduce them and since then do not leave plastic bags out.
I will put paper bags down (after cutting off the handles) Rocky likes the crunchy sound of the paper bags and can lay on one for hours.