Does your cat groom you?

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Willy is a major lap-cat, and when he is grooming himself while on my lap, I often offer my hand near his face, and he proceeds to groom me.

I understand this is a common thing, but I'm just wondering how common this is, and how your particular cat licks you, and in which circumstances.

Attachments

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Magnus grooms us. Usually tries to groom out noses or hands. Doesn't seem to be a particular time of day or pattern. Just when he feels like it.

Nobel used to try and groom us. Usually early morning while you're still trying to sleep. He's trying to clean your hair so it was painful and also involved him attempting to do the chew-cleaning. Sometimes the forehead or eyebrows which was much nicer. Much more likely if you smelled like shampoo then say if you smelled like outside or after we went swimming.

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kitty,now a senior whom I adopted last year, is not a lap cat, but will sidle (is that a word?)up to me to sleep and for pets. I wish she were a lap cat,but alas.
But tell me...are lap cats trained to do that from a kitten on up or is it just the nature and personality of each individual of the litter? I always wondered what made a lap cat a lap cat!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
My kitty,now a senior whom I adopted last year, is not a lap cat, but will sidle (is that a word?)up to me to sleep and for pets. I wish she were a lap cat,but alas.
But tell me...are lap cats trained to do that from a kitten on up or is it just the nature and personality of each individual of the litter? I always wondered what made a lap cat a lap cat!
It is the nature and personality of the cat combined some with their life experiences. They need to feel they totally trust us before they want to be close to us. We are safer at night when we are lying down so some, like mine will only snuggle then. Your cat may just need more time.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My RB kitty, Hannah, was a major groomer. She would like my hair, my face, my hands, whatever she could reach. All of my kitties now are groomers to some extent, but not as crazy about it as Hannah was. Now I just get a couple of licks on my hand or face. My male kitty, Tumbles, is a groomer/nipper. He'll start licking my hand, then it goes into a nip.

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
graycie will try i say try cause it usually leads to her wanting to play wrapping her forelegs hooking those dew claws into my hand/ arm and biting me :lol:
Speaking of dew claws, I took my cat to the vet to get a routine clipping ofher nails and when I got home I noticed her dew claws were COMPLETELY gone! Is that normal and does it hurt to get de-dewclawed?

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Speaking of dew claws, I took my cat to the vet to get a routine clipping ofher nails and when I got home I noticed her dew claws were COMPLETELY gone! Is that normal and does it hurt to get de-dewclawed?
[not sure if thats normal getting a cat declawed would be like having the tips of your fingers cut off to the first knuckle joint after your nail.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In Willy's case, he just came that way. He was my first cat ever, taken in from outside. I hope he was lost and not abandoned.

I actually spent time while initially caring for him to try to find an owner nearby (he was not chipped, BTW), but he was definitely outside for a long time. Skin and bones, unable to take care of himself outside. Sick and nearly starved to death.

He was affectionate from day one, clearly starved for human attention, too. Been a lap cat always.

Maybe because I rescued him? But probably just his individual personality most of all.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Personality for sure. Perhaps a bit of accessibility to humans. (Mine came from foster homes are weren't allowed in bed with humans so they won't come to bed now.)

Magnus is not a lap cat and he's had access to lots of love since he was only a couple months old. He's full of affection and love but will not lay on your lap.

Calcifer will law on my and actually roll on his back. Born inside.
Nobel, born inside never a lap cat. Lily, raised by a dog, lap cat.

Last edited:

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ My buddy Tuxedo thinks he is a hair stylist. I often get the front of my hair "adjusted " by him. Miss Kitty used to give us a facial now and then — if she thought we needed it . :catrub:
In Willy's case, he just came that way. He was my first cat ever, taken in from outside. I hope he was lost and not abandoned.
~ This is how my ' cat collection ' started. They all came to my yard after people moved and obviously left them . Now they are spoiled pets ! :lovecat2:💕

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
If she was declawed,she needs pain meds or were they cut very short?

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is how my ' cat collection ' started. They all came to my yard after people moved and obviously left them.
I can't believe people just leave cats like that... some people just shouldn't have pets.

But this is also how I became an accidental cat person for life. I can't afford the expenses of having a second cat, but I will definitely adopt another after Willy. When he randomly showed up in my life, it changed my feelings about cats completely.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't believe people just leave cats like that... some people just shouldn't have pets.
~ I have learned many "cat things " the past few years. Various reasons for abandoning a cat . Financial, ill health, non-pet apartments etc.
Many people will leave a cat in a residential neighborhood instead of going to the animal shelter where adult pets are often euthanized. The hope is a caring neighbor will feed and care for them. In the big city a homeless cat may actually have a better chance of survival this way — believe it or not. 😳"
This is where we "Cat :lovecat2: People " come in .

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
In many cities/towns/townships there's a fee to drop your pet at a shelter. It's usually a minimum of $100. If you can't pay this fee, what do you do? I would not have been able to afford $200 to do this when we experienced homelessness. We were blessed that a friend minded out cats for 6 months (I paid food and litter still which was $50/month at the time). And we stayed with a family member with severe cat allergies.

This is how our farm in Ontario, Canada ended up with many boxes of cats over the years.

There's also the immense shame we push on to people if they have to give up their pet for some reason outside of control. I see it when I follow rescue places. There's already a lot of pain involved (I had to return my rat rescues after becoming severely ill and having the above-mentioned homelessness at the same time).

It's easy to say people shouldn't have pets and forget the compassion behind circumstances we don't even understand.

Yes, there are some people who shouldn't have pets, but I'll save that line for people who purposely harm pets or try to feed cats a vegan diet or something.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In many cities/towns/townships there's a fee to drop your pet at a shelter. It's usually a minimum of $100.
I've honestly never heard of the fee being this high. I knew there was a fee, but in everywhere I've lived it's been much lower (I just looked it up).

I guess I can understand that. It's just hard for me to imagine dumping a cat outside. I know some people in my area who I'm sure would take my cat as a last resort. But I could understand if you don't know anyone who could do that for you.

I'd personally start posting online and trying to find someone who would adopt if it came to that. But I could see how that might not always be an option in every case.

Thanks for the perspective.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Willy has been grooming my ankles lately, too, which is new. I'm guessing because he is older, sometimes he just prefers not to jump, and stays on the floor and rubs/grooms me when I'm sitting.

He still jumps fine, and spends a lot of time on my lap, but I am theorizing that the ankle-grooming started just because sometimes he wants the connection without bothering to jump.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Luna does and it's so painful. I've had others that would give an occasional lick but it never hurt. Luna's tongue is beyond rough, it's sharp. She's so sweet and so happy when she's grooming us. She'll randomly do it during the day, when I come home, and every morning to wake me up. My face med is toxic if ingested so haven't used it in 6mt and have dry spots that she tries to nibble off. Love hurts.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Luna does and it's so painful.
Love hurts.
Haha, that's a perfect description.

I feel like I've developed a tolerance to it over time. Willy has been grooming me for 8 years. I never felt a cat's tongue once in my life before the first time he licked me, and it was jarring.

Over time, I just started sitting still while he does it, and letting it happen. It feels like sandpaper, but I enjoy the connection with my cat more. Now, I actually like how it feels.