Does your cat act strange after vacation?

somayeh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I went on my first holiday since getting Kola for 11 days and I got back very late on Wednesday night.

A girl I knew at university came to stay at my house whilst I was away to look after Kola.

Kola is 6 months old and is a Russian Blue. Everything went well whilst I was away, in fact so well that I got slightly jealous! He was eating better than ever, slept on the bed with her (he wouldn't do this with me every night) and unlike myself she was able to work from home the entirety of the time I was away!

Since I got back however Kola has been acting strange. I know this isn't uncommon but he's not warmed up to me after 2 days now and I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to make him regain that trust and love again?

He seems more jumpy and scared of me, for a Russian Blue he was never that scared and he just sits around watching me. He doesn't seem at ease and he doesn't "talk" to me much. He used to be rather conversational but now he's very quiet. We've played few times but the flow hasn't been quiet right, it just feels like we are a little out of sync.

He's cuddled up to me in the bed a little but mostly doesn't like me touching him as much as he did before and even he allows it he doesn't purr as much. There's moment of me and Kola the way we used to be but it just feels different....he spends most of his time outside my room in the corridor when my door is open (before he wouldn't as much, he'd be more in and out & would settle in the room but now he's been sleeping in the corridor alll day !) and yeah it's getting a little upsetting...

I've tried sticking to our routine and doing everything I always did but it's not seem to be working much....so was wondering if anyone had any re-bonding and re-trusting advice?

aislinn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat does that every time I return home from a trip. She's usually a little distant for a few days but always goes right back to herself once she knows I'm here to stay. Don't worry at all. Your boy will be back to normal before you know it.

plan

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've had this issue as well. Seems natural for some cats. I just went away for a long weekend (4 nights), and when I got home my cat spent about two hours walking back and forth and rubbing against me, but aside from that he was a bit standoffish compared to his usual self -- and that included not cuddling as much.

I think your cat will adjust just fine within a few days, if not sooner. Good luck