Does you cat like belly rubs?

hbunny

Cat herder - Pooper Scooper
Super Cat
Purraise
Shortstack begs for belly rubs, and will get in front of us walking and flop over so we can. He rolls side to side and just goes stupid when we do it!! Eyes cross, tongue sticks out, he is a big lovey goofball. Wurp on the other hand only allows me to do it. He goes to sleep upside down on my lap with me softly stroking that curly belly fur. But if hubby tries it the fangs eventually come out. He's always equated play (sometimes rough) with hubby, but he knows mommy don't play that way!

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Carrot loves belly rubs. He is constantly showing his belly for rubbing. I'm not sure it's a trust thing since he did this the first day he was home. Our younger cat, Angua doesn't seem to like them as much, but maybe she's to young to like them since she always tries to start playing when you rub her belly. Our rainbow cat liked belly rubs, but only exactly three, anymore and she would bite. 

One of my mom's friends had no understanding of cats when she was over when our rainbow kitty was alive. She would rub her belly and then be surprised when the cat bit her. She also thought that she was "wagging her tail" when she flicked it angrily while being petted. In general she wasn't a very touchy feely cat and hated too much petting.

Here's Carrot begging for belly rubs:

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
If I was there, he'd be getting his wish.  Tika, tika, tika, Carrot.   You have an adorable tummy!

greycat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Only my 2 girl cats like/liked belly rubs. The boys are at various degrees of rubs - some you can rub or maybe 5 seconds to not at all. All depends on their moods.

My RB girl cat Kuce adored belly rubs and a rub session could last up to 45 minutes. Her adopted daughter Lil' Jag can last maybe 10 minutes max before she has had enough.

kkoerner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yep! Cadbury used to bite me if I rubbed his belly, but lately he just lays there purring away.

Loki does for a little bit, but he mostly thinks it's play and tries to get me. I think he will like them as he gets older.

Last edited:

harrisonsheart

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My harrison and simon love their bellies rubbed and feet massaged. [emoji]128522[/emoji] but Japedo will lure you in then try to take your hand off. They are all so very diferent[emoji]128518[/emoji]

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No we all now that the belly is very sensitive spot for a cat. Non-owners don't see to get that, I had a friends who would always said 'I tried to tickle his tummy and he tried to bite my hand off', to which I would always reply, 'well he's not a dog', after this she always went off in a huff because she had no understanding of animals whatsoever. My MIL who used to bred cats told me that if a cats lets you touch their belly its a sign of complete trust which is nice, but i think in some cases cats just don't like it. Frank after a while would let me stoke his belly but only me and it was only after few years of living with us, Max never let anyone touch his belly even me, we'd be lying in bed and i'd stroke his back or his head, he even let me stoke his paws, but if i even strayed too close this belly the claws would come out. Do any of your cats let you touch there belly do you think it is soley a trust thing?
I think it's a trust thing. Blighty sometimes let's me stroke his tummy if he's in a mellow mood. Very rarely will whisky but he doesn't scratch. His hind leg comes up and pushes my hand away quite gently. Neither of these kitties bite or scratch except each other.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats just will absolutely not let you touch their abdomens, I have only had two in my 50 + years of owning cats and have one right now. All of the others will gently push your hand away or leave when they have had enough touching, but my Casper will "bunny kick' you to the point of drawing blood, no warning, no holding back, it's almost like a reflex. He loves being stroked or scratched, so it's not an aversion to being touched, it's just anything to do with his tummy area. He is outgoing, hyper, and outspoken too. My Burt loves to have his stroked he will lay on his back for as long as you are willing. His personality is laid back and loving. 

banana queen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Socks-only when she requests it, and only when it is me.
Izzy-yes, all of the time except for when she decides she wants to play
Mittens-basically a pillow that has legs, she doesn't mind anything
Amber-she generally doesn't request it, but doesn't bite if you do.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
honeybee bites when touching the tummy unless she is asleep..then its game on she loves being stroked while sleeping.

floey likes gentle belly rubs=otherwise teeth and claws come out

pumpkin face is a big love bug. She doesnt mind any type of touching. she's the most laid back kitty I have ever had. but she will snap her tail if you do something she doesnt like. she doesnt bite just gets up and moves away.

reversedpolarit

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Arcturus will request it (roll on his back showing off all the fluff and mew pitifully) sometimes, and ususally doesn't mind if it's not too much. When he's had enough he'll push my hand away with his back paws, but it usually turns into playtime.