Does this sound okay to give a cat to help her gain some weight?

pezkat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What about some of the higher carb/calorie Fancy Feasts?  Anything with gravy, the Elegant Medleys (mine loved Florentine), etc.

Also get some Nutri-Cal to mix in; it's high calorie w/lots of nutrients (comes in tubes at pet store).  Most cats supposedly love the taste & will just lick it from your finger but mine wouldn't touch it so I had to disguise it.

Felinecrf.org has a lot of ideas for getting a cat to eat since loss of appetite is a common symptom.  Have you tried any additives, such as Fortiflora?  (I have tons & would be happy to mail you a packet to try, they're tiny.)  Different bowls?  Different rooms?  Etc.?  I know you said she's eating some, but....

And there are several charts out there that give numbers for protein/fat/carbs/calories on food, both canned & dry.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

What about some of the higher carb/calorie Fancy Feasts?  Anything with gravy, the Elegant Medleys (mine loved Florentine), etc.

Also get some Nutri-Cal to mix in; it's high calorie w/lots of nutrients (comes in tubes at pet store).  Most cats supposedly love the taste & will just lick it from your finger but mine wouldn't touch it so I had to disguise it.

Felinecrf.org has a lot of ideas for getting a cat to eat since loss of appetite is a common symptom.  Have you tried any additives, such as Fortiflora?  (I have tons & would be happy to mail you a packet to try, they're tiny.)  Different bowls?  Different rooms?  Etc.?  I know you said she's eating some, but....

And there are several charts out there that give numbers for protein/fat/carbs/calories on food, both canned & dry.
She eats.  Not as much as she was for a while, but enough that she shouldn't be losing weight.  I've tried lots of flavors of Fancy Feast, and she seems to want to stick to the Chicken and Liver.  She wouldn't lick anything off my finger, I don't care what it was.  Thank you very much for the offer, but we do have Fortiflora.  She doesn't always eat food with that in it either. I take the food to her, wherever she is, so it is definitely in different rooms.  Usually she does eat quite a bit of it.  She  has taken to eating off her paw and making a royal mess all around her.  I happily clean it up and tell her she is a good girl for eating. 

I really don't think it's loss of appetite, but she's obviously not absorbing the nutrients.  Now, we just have to try to figure out why and see if we can't get it going again.  When she was getting the B12 shots weekly, she was thriving and gaining weight. Now that she's gone to monthly, she's going downhill again.  I am going to see if the vet thinks more frequent b12 shots would help.  I'm really starting to panic.  I love her so much.