Does this sound like the flu to you?TMI

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

I was talking to Karen earlier, and she was just heading to the hospital. Her ride was stuck in traffic so she ended up calling an ambulance as her fever was 105F

Feel better soon
I am glad she went to the hospital. She will get the care she needs. Get better soon

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

I was talking to Karen earlier, and she was just heading to the hospital. Her ride was stuck in traffic so she ended up calling an ambulance as her fever was 105F

Feel better soon
I'm so glad you updated us, 105 is just way too high a fever for an adult. I really hope she's ok.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catslave101

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First of all I would like to thank everyone for the well wishes. Means a lot. well They admitted me and I am here still. Doctors want me to stay for a couple more days. sore far they have run about 5 tests. Including blood, culture, pregnancy
, and a few others I can't remember.
I am on an IV drip as well as a couple other medications for pain and nausea. They do not think it is the flu. Rather a nasty virus. I am in my own room. Thank god!
Stuck on a liquid diet of broth, water, and this nasty stuff that's supposed to be apple juice. ICK
. I am so happy I have my laptop with me though. Of course I would have it no other way. After all I do use my laptop bag as a purse anyways.
I am dying for my grandma's homemade chicken noodle soup right now.
The room service here sucks!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hated the clear liquid diet! The broth at my hospital tastes awful and actually set off a gallbladder attack. I had no idea that was possible.

Did they get the stool sample? Please make sure they do this. I know I'm being pushy but it could save you from some trouble.

Sorry they had to admit you, I suspected they might since it sounds like you dehydrated quickly and that fever was much too high. That you don't loose you mind in there from boredom and that they figure this out quickly so you can go home.

Have they given you any powder mixes yet? I was given cholestyramine as it binds toxins and slows down digestion a bit in the intestine - thus relieves the diarrhea, letting medicine do it's job, and gives you time to actually get the nutrients from what you eat. If you get this stuff, mix it with juice as it helps a bit.

catslave101

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I hated the clear liquid diet! The broth at my hospital tastes awful and actually set off a gallbladder attack. I had no idea that was possible.

Did they get the stool sample? Please make sure they do this. I know I'm being pushy but it could save you from some trouble.

Sorry they had to admit you, I suspected they might since it sounds like you dehydrated quickly and that fever was much too high. That you don't loose you mind in there from boredom and that they figure this out quickly so you can go home.

Have they given you any powder mixes yet? I was given cholestyramine as it binds toxins and slows down digestion a bit in the intestine - thus relieves the diarrhea, letting medicine do it's job, and gives you time to actually get the nutrients from what you eat. If you get this stuff, mix it with juice as it helps a bit.
They did a stool sample and didn't find anything. So far dehydrated and a virus. And I was given that powder crap today as well. I really hope they figure out what is wrong with me so I can go home. I really do not like hospitals

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good! Hopefully that means you won't need nastier meds. Too bad you did get the powder. The stuff my hospital has is gritter and doesn't dissolve as well as the stuff I have at home. It's like drinking something with sand stirred into it.

They'll probably check your liver enzymes just in case, and since you'll be there another day or two - they'll be back for more blood...

At least you have your laptop.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so glad you went to the hospital. Not a pleasent place to be. Hopefully they will be able to find out what is wrong. I know what you mean about the apple juice.
what it is but it doesn't taste like apple
. Take care and get some rest

catslave101

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lysteriosis. That is what I have. Doctors said it is lucky I came in when I did. Luckily this is only a minor case and should be cleared within a WEEK. So that means I am stuck here for a week. but I must count my blessings. Could have been alot worse. They keep pestering me to think of where I may have gotten it. I haven't bought any meat products from Maple Leaf. But I did however go out to dinner a few times last week. So I wonder if I may have eaten something contaminated there?

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatSlave101

Lysteriosis. That is what I have. Doctors said it is lucky I came in when I did. Luckily this is only a minor case and should be cleared within a WEEK. So that means I am stuck here for a week. but I must count my blessings. Could have been alot worse. They keep pestering me to think of where I may have gotten it. I haven't bought any meat products from Maple Leaf. But I did however go out to dinner a few times last week. So I wonder if I may have eaten something contaminated there?
That is very serious. At least now you know what it is. You will get the care you need.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

It wasn't just the Maple Leaf brand products, there was some under different names...Schneiders, Shopsy, our compliments.

I found this list: http://chealth.canoe.ca/channel_heal...el_id=44&rot=3

I can understand why they want to figure out where you got it from, as all the infected food should have been pulled from shelves. If a restaurant is still serving contaminated products, they need to be alerted and dealt with.

I am soooo glad you did go to the hospital, this definately could have been way worse.

Feel better soon.

catslave101

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think I may have finally figured out what got me sick. I went to a restaurant a few day ago and ordered the quarter chicken dinner with fries and salad
and now I think of it. The stomach ache and diarrhea started that night. I am calling them first thing in the morning. Well when they open anyways.
They should do something. Or is there someone else I should call as well?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I think I may have finally figured out what got me sick. I went to Swiss Chalet a few day ago and ordered the quarter chicken dinner with fries and salad
and now I think of it. The stomach ache and diarrhea started that night. It was at the Swiss Chalet on Queenston Road across from the Canadian Tire. I am calling them first thing in the morning. Well when they open anyways.
They should do something. Or is there someone else I should call as well?
Whoa!!!

Call the health department. They seriously need to be investigated!! Lysteriosis is deadly. So glad you went to the hospital.

catslave101

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was thinking of calling the health department but then figured I would call the business first and tell them of the suspected thingy. (What the heck is that word I am looking for?
) Then call the health department to have them thoroughly examined and cleaned.

Edit: EUREKA!! Contamination!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Holy
Listeriosis is WAYYYY serious. I'm Sooooooo glad you went to the hospital. What a relief that you're getting treated!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I was thinking of calling the health department but then figured I would call the business first and tell them of the suspected thingy. (What the heck is that word I am looking for?
) Then call the health department to have them thoroughly examined and cleaned.

Edit: EUREKA!! Contamination!
Call the health department first. They are the ones that govern the cleanliness of places. They need to know so that they can look into the matter and put out the word in case anyone else is sick and needs medical attention.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is scary! Could you imagine if you had just taken recommendations of drinking extra fluids and a bland diet to get over this by yourself on the assumption it was nothing more than a virus?

That could have killed you or at the very least you would have ended up in a very serious state before someone else dragged you into the ER. Future reference for everyone, don't always assume it's a virus - sometimes it can be much worse. Keep this in mind for yourselves and for any advice you give others.

Will this mean a longer hospital stay?

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

That is scary! Could you imagine if you had just taken recommendations of drinking extra fluids and a bland diet to get over this by yourself on the assumption it was nothing more than a virus?

That could have killed you or at the very least you would have ended up in a very serious state before someone else dragged you into the ER. Future reference for everyone, don't always assume it's a virus - sometimes it can be much worse. Keep this in mind for yourselves and for any advice you give others.

Will this mean a longer hospital stay?
Hmmm... many posters on here, myself included, DID urge her to call her doctor... that fever was waaayy too high 2 days before she went to the hospital... I'm surprised the doc's office didn't say, go right now! (Actually, I'm NOT surprised. Lots of lax attitude in medicine these days...)

Anyway, CatSlave -- glad you know what it is and it got caught in a timely manner. You dodged a bullet.

ETA: yes, agree with Natalie. Start with the Health Dept.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

Hmmm... many posters on here, myself included, DID urge her to call her doctor... that fever was waaayy too high 2 days before she went to the hospital...
I know. I was one of the ones suggesting it too, because honestly I suspected food poisoning of some sort. Viruses can make a person pretty sick, but unless you're a young child, elderly, or your health is compromised to begin with - they're usually not this serious. Bacteria can really mess a person up.

I'm just suggesting the same that's done in the health and nutrition section for cats - give advice, but always urge the person to see their doctor or go to the hospital.... though I know there's a few who are too stubborn (somewhat so myself) to go.

If what I read about lysteria is correct, it could have been anything she ate within the last week to 8 weeks. I hope this can be tracked down! Personally, with that sort of range and not knowing for certain - I'd toss everything in the fridge...

catslave101

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have contacted the health department and they will be again doing a thorough inspection. They also want ALL meat and dairy from my home to inspect to see where the contamination is from

Status
Not open for further replies.