Does this look like worms?

ZFZFZF

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has had diarrhea for the last week or so and noticed this today. I gave him anti diarrhea medicine and that seemed to help, but only for a few days. I have a vet appointment tomorrow, but curious what people think.
Thanks.

IMG_8931.HEIC.jpeg
IMG_8933.HEIC.jpeg

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! It does look like a worm initially. Do you have any other evidence of worms? If it is, you need a wormer from the vet which will take care of the problem. Outlying responses could be that the cat ate string and some is now passing; I mention this only because if that is the case you should not pull it out yourself. Diarrhea and worms can definitely go together, so it is good that you have a vet appointment.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ZFZFZF

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! It does look like a worm initially. Do you have any other evidence of worms? If it is, you need a wormer from the vet which will take care of the problem. Outlying responses could be that the cat ate string and some is now passing; I mention this only because if that is the case you should not pull it out yourself. Diarrhea and worms can definitely go together, so it is good that you have a vet appointment.
Other than the diarrhea, no. There isn't even worms in the diarrhea, so
Do you think an OTC dewormer would work? I am kinda short on cash, so I would rather pay $20 than the price of a Vet appointment AND the dewormer...

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Worming outside cats.

This just came up in another forum....not one that you would have been reading, so I am not saying that you would have seen it. This would be my answer as well. I don't use OTC wormers personally. If you do, avoid any Hartz product.

ZFZFZF

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Worming outside cats.

This just came up in another forum....not one that you would have been reading, so I am not saying that you would have seen it. This would be my answer as well. I don't use OTC wormers personally. If you do, avoid any Hartz product.
i should note that this is an inside cat that never goes outdoors. i also have another cat that stays inside and she doesn't have any symptoms of worms. is that common?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have indoor only cats who have had tapeworms when flea meds have failed.

ZFZFZF

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have indoor only cats who have had tapeworms when flea meds have failed.
UPDATE: Went to the vet yesterday and she suggested it was roundworms. She gave him the dewormer, so hopefully he gets better. Thanks for your help!!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Normally this takes care of it. The fact that your cat had these does not in any way reflect on you. These little parasites can be found almost anyplace.