Does this look like feline acne?

jadecommunity

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten recently started developing these bald patches of skin and they are growing. The one by her whiskers just appeared today. Our other cat is dealing with feline acne underneath his chin. We switched their bowls to metal and have been cleaning them after each use. His seems to be getting better but hers is getting worse.

Attachments

backwoodsvet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Could you give more info, how many cats in your group ? how old are they ? are they indoor only ? how long ago did you first see condition ?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jadecommunity

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Could you give more info, how many cats in your group ? how old are they ? are they indoor only ? how long ago did you first see condition ?
2 cats, the cat pictured is 7 mo, the other is around 8 years. They are indoor only. The older cat started having acne under his chin around a month ago. We took him to the vet and they confirmed that's what it is and gave us wipes to treat it. For this kitten I just noticed maybe 2 days ago she was missing a small patch under her chin and noticed the bigger patch by her whiskers today. They are also both currently taking Panacur for a parasite issue, not sure if that has any impact.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you have a blacklight? If you do, shine it on the spots (in a darkened room) and see if it glows. If it does, it's most likely ringworm. If it doesn't it looks like something else is going on. It doesn't look like acne, but could be food allergy. I'd get the kitty to the vet to be checked out.

jadecommunity

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you have a blacklight? If you do, shine it on the spots (in a darkened room) and see if it glows. If it does, it's most likely ringworm. If it doesn't it looks like something else is going on. It doesn't look like acne, but could be food allergy. I'd get the kitty to the vet to be checked out.
I will see if I can find one! I managed to get 2 more clearer images with flash as well.

Attachments

jadecommunity

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just did the UV light trick and it didn't glow!

jadecommunity

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yay! I would definitely get to the vet for a check up to see what's going on and to get treatment. It doesn't look like typical acne to me, but I've only ever dealt with it on the chin.
We have a vet appointment tomorrow! I will update in case anyone is looking back on this later.

jadecommunity

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just updating for anyone looking later that this was not ringworm! No idea what was the cause. Her ringworm test came back negative and the hair grew back on the patch and no new ones appeared on her or our other cat.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wonder if it was a bug bite? Whatever it was, I'm glad it's gone and I hope it doesn't come back!