Does This Look Like A Parasitic Worm?

susan denning

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I found it on the floor of our garage and couldn't decide if it was a regular earthworm or something else? My Mom did point out that both ends were moving independently, which doesn't seem like an earthworm?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

susan denning

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, good. Are there any parasitic worms that are segmented? I was just looking it up and found out that roundworms are not segmented, so it seems that rules out roundworm?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's just a poor half-dried earthworm. Just soak him (it? Do earthworms have genders?) in shallow water for a couple minutes and let it go in the grass.

Roundworms sort of look like spaghetti :barfgreen:. Tapeworms are segmented.

Sallysoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So big? U suspected passed out from the kitty?

jjc1140

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So big? U suspected passed out from the kitty?
Actually, yes so big they can pass out of the kitty. I rescued a little baby kitten once and the roundworm passed literally twice the size of that roundworm. I was horrified when I realized what it was and where it came from. It got matted in her fur around her butt.

That is a earthworm though for sure. Roundworms could intentionally be mistaken for it but they are much uglier than that earthworm. Roundworms can be like a grey, darker brown to black color though and they appear a little flatter kind of . Hard to explain but you will know it's not right when you see it lol.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found a parasitic worm when I cleaned the bedding of a stray that showed up that was a good 3 inches long, white, and had a head shaped like a spade. It was so incredibly ugly I threw all the bedding away! Cat was wormed within the hour. That worm above is an earthworm. Each end can move independently because if the worm was torn in two, each end would develop into another worm.

jjc1140

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I found a parasitic worm when I cleaned the bedding of a stray that showed up that was a good 3 inches long, white, and had a head shaped like a spade. It was so incredibly ugly I threw all the bedding away! Cat was wormed within the hour. That worm above is an earthworm. Each end can move independently because if the worm was torn in two, each end would develop into another worm.
Yes, that is exactly how I was trying to describe the worm that I found matted in the fur of this kitten. It was disgusting!! Immediately wormed her as well with several follow up at week intervals to be sure lol. I do recall that nasty head and spade is exactly how to describe it.

jinxybean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Absolutely, positively an earthworm. They can travel long distances above ground and come out of the ground after a rain to move around faster.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

susan denning

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You mean I don't have to rush the cats to the vet for worm medicine? I was so looking forward to that :lol: Thanks for the input, and I'm glad it's not anything to worry about. For a moment there, I did think it might be an obscure type of parasite.