Does this chicken sound ok?

fleshflowers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
 I bought some of this chicken yesterday and cooked it for myself, and gave some to Phaedra. I was wondering if this would be an ok chicken to feed her as a treat every now and then? I'm assuming if so, I should feed it raw. http://www.justbarechicken.com/jb.cfm?p=Learn_More_Mission&nav=meet the one I got was boneless and skinless. Also, it says they are never frozen, and when I open the package there are 3 pieces of meat in there, so is it safe to stick in the freezer?

Last edited:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 I bought some of this chicken yesterday and cooked it for myself, and gave some to Phaedra. I was wondering if this would be an ok chicken to feed her as a treat every now and then? I'm assuming if so, I should feed it raw. http://www.justbarechicken.com/jb.cfm?p=Learn_More_Mission&nav=meet the one I got was boneless and skinless. Also, it says they are never frozen, and when I open the package there are 3 pieces of meat in there, so is it safe to stick in the freezer?
I don't see why not?
It is said dark meat is better than white meat, but as a treat, totally ok..... Just make sure, if you are not balancing meals, this is not going to be more than 15% of what she eats :wavey:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fleshflowers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I've never fed her raw meat before, so I don't even know if she'd like it! But I just wanted to make sure that it was okay to feed to her as a treat. I didn't know if it had to be a certain cut or whatnot :)

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I've never fed her raw meat before, so I don't even know if she'd like it! But I just wanted to make sure that it was okay to feed to her as a treat. I didn't know if it had to be a certain cut or whatnot :)
Ah! No.... Any cut is just fine..... Just make sure to cut it very small at first..... as she never ate it before..... and use the same guidelines of safe-handling you use when preparing your own meat :bigthumb:
Hope she loves it! :cross:
Have you taken a look at the raw feeding resources thread? It has a ton of information in there - here you go: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/240809/raw-feeding-resource-thread

fleshflowers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for that link!! I'm definitely a little worried now though because I did give her some chicken (she absolutely loved it!) and only after did I read to keep the feeding times of raw and kibble hours apart. I'm pretty sure she ate some kibble not that far from the chicken. I really hope she doesn't get sick!! I guess I was just so quick and excited to feed her this yummy treat that I didn't think all the way, I feel bad now =/

Last edited:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for that link!! I'm definitely a little worried now though because I did give her some chicken (she absolutely loved it!) and only after did I read to keep the feeding times of raw and kibble hours apart. I'm pretty sure she ate some kibble not that far from the chicken. I really hope she doesn't get sick!!
She won't get sick :)

You are absolutely right.... it is best to feed raw MEALS hours apart from a kibble meal..... but as a treat shouldn't be a problem.....
When I was introducing Lucky to raw, I put a dollop of raw on her kibble plate every meal, for 35 days - she licked the top of it - tiny lick.... never had a problem..... and ate the kibble too..... I also gave her raw treats..... with the kibbles.....
For a couple of days she ate the whole dollop and the kibbles on the same meal. People do that sometimes for months during introductions.... It doesn't seem to be a problem with small qtys....

Now, if you feed her a raw meal, yes - feed her hours apart - at least a few hours after you feed the raw.
I am SO glad she loved it - that is fantastic!!! Raw is AMAZING for the kitty - my cats are having phenomenal results from it :clap::clap::clap:
And omg, if your kitty is eating whole pieces of it, you can go straight to frankerprey - AWESOME to the teeth, and cheap cheap on the wallet :bigthumb:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for that link!! I'm definitely a little worried now though because I did give her some chicken (she absolutely loved it!) and only after did I read to keep the feeding times of raw and kibble hours apart. I'm pretty sure she ate some kibble not that far from the chicken. I really hope she doesn't get sick!! I guess I was just so quick and excited to feed her this yummy treat that I didn't think all the way, I feel bad now =/

Holly Molly look at that carnivore go!!! That is fantastic!!! You should be so happy!!! :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: That's FANTASTIC!!!! :clap::clap::clap::clap:
Don't worry hun, she won't get sick :hugs:
But a thought - now that she is eating raw meat, you might want to consider giving her a probiotic..... It helps them with the good bacteria in the gut :bigthumb: Always a good thing.......
Just make sure that the amount of the chicken is not more than 15% of what she eats..... otherwise it is not a treat anymore...... it is a meal..... an you will have to balance those....
Have you considered switching her to raw entirely? I mean...... she is asking for it - look at her... she loves it! :clap::clap::clap::clap:

fleshflowers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm not really sure what quantity would be considered a whole meal.. would that be like a whole chicken breast? She just had a little bit cut off (about 3 inches) and cut into smaller pieces.. is what is seen in the photo above considered a treat or a meal?

Edit: Also, could you tell me what probiotic I could use? I'm not very familiar with them.. would that be like.. feeding her yogurt? Or is it a pill?

Last edited:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not really sure what quantity would be considered a whole meal.. would that be like a whole chicken breast? She just had a little bit cut off (about 3 inches) and cut into smaller pieces.. is what is seen in the photo above considered a treat or a meal?

Edit: Also, could you tell me what probiotic I could use? I'm not very familiar with them.. would that be like.. feeding her yogurt? Or is it a pill?
That's pretty close to a meal right there - a kitty one raw eats little, about 3% of the weight per day, divided in 3 meals (usually)..... for example: if your cat weighs 10lbs, it will need 4.8oz a day; divided by 3= 1.6oz per meal..... which I think is pretty much what is in that plate right there..... it is not much at all :nod:
(but don't worry, she won't get sick, ok? :lol3:)

You can buy probiotic capsules in the pharmacy and sprinkle on the food Lactobacillus acidophilus is sold everywhere..... Just open the capsule and sprinkle it..... I use a veterinarian one.... Buy in on Amazon: Proviable-DC IMHO, this is the best - it lasts almost 3 months, as there is 80 capsules in the package :nod: Same thing - just open and sprinkle on the top of the food - there is no taste to it.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hun I am going to bed.... as It is veeeery late, and I need to feed my own carnivores before work tomorrow :sleep2:
But congratulations!! I am thrilled she loves the meat so much! :woohoo: I wish all of mine were so easy like that :thud:
I gotta get some raw whole pieces of chicken and offer to them just like you did and see what happens..... who knows? :dk:
I hope you consider a raw diet for her - it is really a wonderful thing for their heath and well being! :bigthumb:
:hugs:

fleshflowers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much! THis is so exciting and interesting, lol! I will stick to feeding it as maybe a weekly treat for now, or when feeding as a treat is it okay to do it more than once per week? Also will feed less next time, and make sure it's further apart from her kibble eating. She absolutely loved it though :) I will also pick her up some probiotics! Should they only be used when eating the raw, or just give them to her weekly/everyday?

Thanks a lot for all of your help, this has been very helpful! I love my kitty so much and I want to keep her healthy and happy and I love to spoil her as much as I can!

Last edited:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much! THis is so exciting and interesting, lol! I will stick to feeding it as maybe a weekly treat for now, or when feeding as a treat is it okay to do it more than once per week? Also will feed less next time, and make sure it's further apart from her kibble eating. She absolutely loved it though :) I will also pick her up some probiotics! Should they only be used when eating the raw, or just give them to her weekly/everyday?

Thanks a lot for all of your help, this has been very helpful! I love my kitty so much and I want to keep her healthy and happy and I love to spoil her as much as I can!
Probiotics everyday -
Give those links some reading...... you can give her a small treat every day, no problem, but just one of those squares, if you are not going into a raw diet :nod:
Or..... every couple, few days, if you want to give it a larger qty. You can cut them up, put them into a ziplock bag in the freezer, then just defrost them in another little baggie under warm water before serving :nod:
Do some reading.... ask as many questions you'd like! We will be here :hugs:

Last edited: