Does this breathing look okay?

baztien

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone!

I posted a month ago about some digestive issues with my cat - luckily those seem to have resolved for now but at the same time she had some URI symptoms that had taken a back burner while we figured out how to deal with her other issues. She had some clear looking eye discharge that would dry down to black crust, is a little sneeze-y, and sounds slightly congested (kinda sounds like she has mucus in her throat?). The eye discharge and sneezing has become minimal compared to months ago. She will occasionally have wheezing fits that last about 1-2 minutes - these she's had for her whole life but they've been really infrequent. She had a chest x-ray done February of 2022 and they said her lungs looked clear so most likely not asthma. I actually don't live with her, this is my parents cat but I handle all health related things when they come up. That's led to me staying at my parents from early June til now and I've seen her have 3 wheezing fits, June 5th, July 18th, and August 9th (this last one was less aggressive, kinda light wheezing).

Energy wise, she doesn't have zoomies these days but she's still active and spends some time outside making rounds or running if she feels like it. Eats, drinks normally, and uses the litter box regularly. She's also about 11-12 years old so I know I have to anticipate some changes as these years pass.

Because of her previous digestive health scare, I feel like I've become more worried about the worst case scenarios and at the moment, I've been paying extra attention to her breathing. I uploaded a few videos here with dates as the file names. Through Googling normal and abnormal cat breathing, I've come across the term 'paradoxical breathing' which seems to be what she does occasionally, although it's still a little hard for me to understand so I'm not sure if I'm classifying it correctly. It's not rapid or labored luckily, and it's not all the time, so I'm wondering if this is just normal and wanted to get everyones thoughts.

I've also talked to one of her vets about the wheezing and he really didn't seem concerned because of the infrequency. I had also shown a vet at the same clinic a video of her breathing and she also didn't seem concerned and said to worry only if her breathing was labored. Regardless, I'm planning on taking her to the vet tomorrow or Sunday to try and get chest x-rays. Anything else I could ask for? A heartworm test? As someone who has very minimal veterinary knowledge, I'm worried about potential fluid build up. I'd of course like to catch anything early.

Thank you everyone!

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I counted her breaths and she is in the normal range. What I did was counted them on one video that was over 30 seconds.. I counted until the 30 second mark and multiplied by 2 to add up to a minute
Then the one video over 15 seconds counted til the 15 second mark and multiplied by 4 to add up to a minute
Her bpm's are right where they should be. It's hard to tell in the video is she calm while breathing? Does she seem distressed at all? I really think she is fine breaths/minute wise.
With this being said I'm not a vet. And you can definitely show them the videos and make sure she is ok from a professional standpoint.

I attached a link that goes over respiration rates hope it helps

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

baztien

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for checking! Yeah, the respiration rates do seem normal, in some she's asleep and and in the others I think she's about to try and sleep. I just keep coming across the warning that any abdominal breathing is abnormal and at times she does seem to be breathing with both her abdomen/belly and chest. Not all the time, and by the time she's asleep it's pretty gentle looking, but the back and forth, according to what I'm reading, isn't how it's supposed to happen? Totally unsure if I'm overthinking but of course a question for her vet. I guess this plus the sound of congestion (which is much harder to film) have me worried.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for checking! Yeah, the respiration rates do seem normal, in some she's asleep and and in the others I think she's about to try and sleep. I just keep coming across the warning that any abdominal breathing is abnormal and at times she does seem to be breathing with both her abdomen/belly and chest. Not all the time, and by the time she's asleep it's pretty gentle looking, but the back and forth, according to what I'm reading, isn't how it's supposed to happen? Totally unsure if I'm overthinking but of course a question for her vet. I guess this plus the sound of congestion (which is much harder to film) have me worried.
I am glad she has you as her hooman. You notice something like this which is great. You really pay attention to your kitty. I'm sorry I don't have more info, advice for you. I would just call the vet Monday see if you can send the videos over and if you can try to get a sound of her wheezing, and the belly breathing if you can get a really good recording of it whetr it shows it really well that will help the vet make their decision.
Now with the vet you saw in the past, I am concerned because you had mentioned concerns and they kind of brushed it off.. is this a normal occurrence? Like if you have a concern and it is something subtle do they just brush it off and not look into it? I could have read that wrong and if so I apologize. If I read that right and this is how they are I'd recommend a new vet. Also I would try to find a cat only vet for her.
Also a second opinion sometimes helps. it can most times put us pet parents minds at ease or they see something the og vet didn't see.
Will you let us know what the vet says after you talk to them?