Does size matter (in litter boxes)?

cattysmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We recently lost an elderly beloved family cat that was of regular size and needs.   The standard size litter box that you can pick up at the big box stores fit her just fine.

So when Catty came to live with us, we went out and bought her the same standard litter box that we had used before...the biggest ones offered at the regular stores.   Well, next to Catty, this thing looked small.  Really small.  Like.... "Can she turn around in that small?"    So we went back out to the local special pet store to find a larger box, only to find..they don't carry a larger litter box.  So what to do?

Catty is (like most cats) a very private feline when it comes to using the bathroom, but I happened to observe her doing her business one day, and was surprised at how squished up she was trying to fit into the regular litter box... she even got outside the box and took her paw to cover and bury the business left inside the box (thank you, Catty for such pristine bathroom manners under less than ideal conditions).

So to those of you who have bigger cat breeds... such as Catty or even bigger than that.... where do you get a bigger litter box and how big is the right size?  Thanks!

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It doesn't need to be specially labeled as a litter box
All the litter box is a plastic container at least a few inches high. Try an under-the-bed type storage container or other shallow-ish but at least 5 inches high (litter needs to be at least 3 inches deep to fully absorb pee and to allow for digging) large plastic storage container. Here's a DIY litter box using a storage container: http://www.instructables.com/id/Giant-Litter-Box/

I know some pet stores do sell extra large litter boxes. I've seen them at the chain pet stores. You can definitely find an extra large litter box (jumbo may be too small) online at Amazon and other places.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
We have three normal sized cats and one who's tall and long.  Poor guy just didn't fit in a normal sized box.  We found a box at Petco that was really big with a tall back and sides, and that's the box Ozzy uses.  The Petco website seems to be down this morning so I can't add a photo right now.

nora1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use this box (https://www.chewy.com/cat/natures-miracle-jfc-advanced-high/dp/47583) for most of my cats. I can purchase at my local Petsmart, as well as on Chewy.com and Amazon. My 16-18 pounders have no problems using this box.

I use this exact litter box for my big girl (we think part maine coon), and she has enough room to turn around comfortably, and stand up (it's hooded).

I always suggest to people to get as big as you can! It'll pay off in the long run :p

rickr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My tabby, Archie, likes to kick litter everywhere.  Oh, what a mess.  A friend suggested that I try using large, plastic storage boxes instead of a standard size pet store litter box.  The storage boxes work great; they have high sides (maybe a foot or so), a big footprint, and they are nearly clear.  Plus, they're cheap.  I can't get over how much pet stores charge for plain old litter boxes.  Plastic storage boxes come in many sizes; I'm sure you could find one that will work for Catty.

The only real downside is that the storage boxes are kinda ugly or utilitarian, if you prefer. The styling doesn't bother me, but I imagine the functional appearance might be off-putting to some.