Does pepsi contain xylitol?

catcora

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm located in Canada and I can't find too much information about this

I just want to make sure that regular Pepsi in Canada, does not contain any xylitol. I just had a can on the table and although I didn't see my cat lick it, nor does he have any symptoms yet, I just want to be safe! (the can was left out yesterday night, was empty, and he has no current symptoms) The ingredients on the can itself and online does not have xylitol in its ingredients, but I did see somewhere that sometimes it is not required for companies to list it in their ingredients (not sure if this is true or not in Canada). I went on the "Mandatory labelling of sweeteners" labelling requirement of Canada website and got this:

"If aspartame is used in conjunction with other sweeteners, a statement to the effect that the food contains, or is sweetened with "aspartame", and the name(s) of the other sweetener(s).[for example "sweetened with aspartame and xylitol"]"

That is pretty much all they list about xylitol

Any thoughts?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I'm also in Canada, but unfortunately can't answer your question. Maybe contacting Pepsi Canada, would be the best way to find out for sure. However, their website shows their hours as 9-5 ET Mon-Fri, so they would be almost closing now.

Contact Us | Pepsi.ca

Maybe if your vet is still open, you could give them a call, and get their input..

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
the can was left out yesterday night, was empty,
If there wasn't any liquid left in the indentations around the top of the can that your cat could have licked, you probably don't have anything to be concerned about. I have looked on the internet and it's confusing between regular pepsi, throwback pepsi made with real sugar, diet pepsi, the changes they made regarding eliminating the use of aspartame in the US around 2016, and these products made for other markets, so the bottom line is that rubysmama is correct (as always :) )

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catcora

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If there wasn't any liquid left in the indentations around the top of the can that your cat could have licked, you probably don't have anything to be concerned about. I have looked on the internet and it's confusing between regular pepsi, throwback pepsi made with real sugar, diet pepsi, the changes they made regarding eliminating the use of aspartame in the US around 2016, and these products made for other markets, so the bottom line is that rubysmama is correct (as always :) )
It didn’t look like it had much residue left on top, barely by the time I threw it out (not sure if there was any abs he licked it off), but I want to be safe, is there a large amount of xylitol in a few drops/residue left on top of a can? The can was in the edge of a table and didn’t look like it moved (assuming if he did get to it, the can woukd have fallen off the ledge from him moving near it)