Does my Persian kitten look like he could be half Maine Coon?

sharonthp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten Natsu is a doll face Persian. According to my vet, he's kinda big for his breed (he is four months old and weighs just over 6lbs) and she suggested that Natsu could be half Maine Coon.

I've looked at pictures of Maine Coons but I don't see the resemblance. In fact, I'm more inclined to believe that Natsu could be half Ragdoll because he goes absolutely limp when I pick him up and his fur doesn't get tangled easily (I brush his fur once a fortnight after my husband and I give him a bath).

Not that it makes a difference, but I'm just curious. 

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow , he is gorgeous .. I am no expert but to me he looks more Maine Coon than Persian ..

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He doesn't look Persian at all. . .not even "doll-faced". Persians are super fluffy all over and have very round heads. He looks more Maine Coon than Persian but he doesn't really look that much like a purebred Maine Coon either. I would guess that his mother's owner just found some pretty long-haired cats and decided to sell their offspring as Persians :/. Which is very dishonest. Or possibly his mother really is Persian but she mated with a cat the owner didn't know about (and he takes after his father). Which isn't so much dishonest as irresponsible.

But he is incredibly good-looking and as long as you enjoy him it certainly doesn't matter what breed he is :D.

caltritwiamb4

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
H e is absolutely beautiful. I agree he doesn't look like a Persian. He looks more main coon than Rag doll. But whatever he is or isn't he is stunning. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sharonthp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Shows how much I know about cats! Thanks for your feedback guys, I suppose he could be a Maine Coon mix then :) Whatever he is, he's a real darling and I love him to bits.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
He's a beautiful cat but if he really is a Doll Faced Persian he's a big one.

I found what we think is a Doll Faced Persian abandoned at the side of the road a few moths ago and he only weighs 6 pounds now, at about 1 year old.

He's a few pictures of him, just to compare.

Did you get any papers for Natsu when you got him to tell you about his breed?

Love the name by the way.

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Shows how much I know about cats! Thanks for your feedback guys, I suppose he could be a Maine Coon mix then :) Whatever he is, he's a real darling and I love him to bits.
Yes he is a darling gorgeous boy . 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sharonthp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you Norachan, your kitty is beautiful! And so very different from Natsu -- I just took him to the vet for his third round of vaccinations and he's already over 6.6lbs, the fatty :)

Over here in Malaysia, it's normal and not at all illegal to sell animals without papers, so I guess I'll never know what breed he is. 

smallroomlady2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree I had a main coon kitty and I see it in him definitely the tail for sure. So magnificent. Pretty kitty

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just an FYI, purebred cats unlike dogs are pretty rare. It's estimated that less than 2% of the world's cat population is purebred.

Cats can have the traits of a particular breed and have zero genetic material from that particular breed. Hybrids are also not common either. I can't speak for other countries, but here in the states purebred cats are almost always sold as neuters. The ones that aren't are sold to breeders under contract and even though "whoops" breeding is possible it's still extremely rare.

Here's a pic of a champion MC just for reference. Notice the muzzle and ear furnishings. These are basic identifiers of the breed, but there are others.

maryr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know you probably aren't following this anymore, but I wanted to say. He most definitely could be half persian. I had a cat that looked just like him named mufassa. His mom was registered and ours. She ran out and got pregnant by a random cat and had a very diverse litter. They all had long hair. One was black tabby marked. One looked like yours. One had the full silver/ white alternating persian coat. Sadly the tabby and the silver got stolen when we let them outside to play one day.

maryr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh and the mom was a doll face persian she was about 6 to 7 pounds. Mufassa grew to be huge. He was about 16-17pounds.