Does my kitty have a “Staring Coat”? Should I be worried?

nimi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all! :lovecat:

2 years, 4kg, female, domestic medium hair.

I was going to post this in the Grooming forum, but think because it’s a possible health concern I put it here instead? Sorry if I did end up in the wrong place.

Recently been to the vets for a basic check-up and always forget to ask about her coat - but they never make any comments about it so I always assume it’s ok.

I just gave her a brush and it’s still looking all spikey and like pictures of cats with this “staring coat” that I’ve seen online that can indicate health problems! So I always get a bit paranoid about it. Not sure if it’s just paranoia and it’s just the way her coat is (maybe need some better brushes?) or something I should follow up.

I’ve added some pics!

Thanks for any help :hearthrob:

Attachments

TARTARA

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Im not an expert by any means... but it looks pretty good to me... my cat has a similar coat and i can't see anything wrong with yours... as much i can see from the photos of course... !? Just my opinion !

TARTARA

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ah, sorry... !
Very beautiful cat by the way !

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If your vet did not mention anything and your cat's health was good, they probably did not see a problem with the fur. If the fur is only spiky, but clean and soft and your cat is not exhibiting any signs of illness such as weight loss, lack of appetite, etc, you are more than likely okay.

Staring coat is a problem if it is greasy, matted, oily or accompanied by signs of illness. Itchiness, hair loss, and odor are other things that could also be present. Of course, you are right to watch your cat as you are already doing.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Your cat's coat is long compared to my cat, but before we started brushing her daily, hers would appear a bit 'spikey'. I would suggest trying different kinds of brushes to see if one works better than another - and getting into the habit of daily brushings. I've always used a slicker brush (with thin metal prongs), but some members think there are better ones than that, and that may be true for a longer haired cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nimi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If your vet did not mention anything and your cat's health was good, they probably did not see a problem with the fur. If the fur is only spiky, but clean and soft and your cat is not exhibiting any signs of illness such as weight loss, lack of appetite, etc, you are more than likely okay.

Staring coat is a problem if it is greasy, matted, oily or accompanied by signs of illness. Itchiness, hair loss, and odor are other things that could also be present. Of course, you are right to watch your cat as you are already doing.
Thank you for your reply :)
She is extremely soft and fluffy, and she doesn’t show any signs of illness. She was having an allergic reaction to something that was leaving her with little red itchy sores on face a few months ago, and the vets said it was probably a food allergy and I had to just do a process of elimination on which one it could be, which I’m pretty sure I’ve figured out as she hasn’t shown any of those signs for awhile now. Her coat has alway looked a bit uneven and unkempt (like in the photos) since she was a kitten depending on the angle she’s sitting or laying. So I’d type this on google and information about the “staring coat” would pop up and I’d get all worried something serious was happening.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nimi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Your cat's coat is long compared to my cat, but before we started brushing her daily, hers would appear a bit 'spikey'. I would suggest trying different kinds of brushes to see if one works better than another - and getting into the habit of daily brushings. I've always used a slicker brush (with thin metal prongs), but some members think there are better ones than that, and that may be true for a longer haired cat.
Thank you for your reply! :)
I think I’ll definitely look into some more brushes and remember to do it more often. I do use a slicker brush mainly, and then a dematting bush on her back legs (which I call her “pantaloons” haha) as it’s always very thick there.