Does my cat's incision look okay?

PandorasPaw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 1 year old kitty got spayed yesterday. I was told to leave an e-collar off unless she was licking it too much. She did start to lick it, so I put the collar on and it made her have a meltdown and start running around and thrashing and crashing into stuff, so I took it off because she was panicked.

Today, the first day after surgery, she still licks at it a bit, but I think it looks mostly okay. I'm not sure if there is a bit of blood on it. Can anyone tell me if this looks good?

Note: She is behaving normally, has a good appetite and is drinking and moving around. She is even rather playful already despite being sluggish.

Attachments

Devia Morgenstern

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'd say that looks fairly decent. It does look slightly agitated in some areas though, so I'd continue using the cone.
As long as she's eating well, having normal bowl movements, and high in energy, I wouldn't worry about it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PandorasPaw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'd say that looks fairly decent. It does look slightly agitated in some areas though, so I'd continue using the cone.
As long as she's eating well, having normal bowl movements, and high in energy, I wouldn't worry about it.
Thank you for responding! I'm glad you think it looks decent.

And, I want to try putting the cone back on, but last night was an entire ordeal. She started thrashing herself around the room and I had to basically hold her down to take it off, and when I did she scratched me and made me bleed and then wouldn't let me near her. She hissed, growled and swatted at me if I even approached her or spoke to her. I'm afraid now to try putting it on again, since she is slowly warming back up to me today and I would hate to put her back in that state of panic and break her trust.

Devia Morgenstern

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not 100% positive that these will work but here's some tactics to try so the experience is easier for her
-don't suddenly put it on her. Allow her to sniff the cone. Have something you say that let's her know it's time to wear the cone.
-Use a lot of treats or a special food such as Tuna
-I don't know how you put it on her, but I know that cats hate being held down by the legs, chest, or neck, so avoid that if possible
-make it a part of her ritual. Say her routine is break-feast, playtime, nap time, then dinner. You could do it around break-feast time, or after play-time when she's winding down for a nap. Make it predictable so she knows what to expect.
-acclimate her to the sensation of a cone around her neck. One way to emulate that without using the cone would be using a small cloth. Just gently place it around the sides of her head, being careful not to cover her nose, eyes, or mouth. Only do it briefly at first. Then as she adjusts to the sensation for longer and longer periods. Again, use a special food, and make it part of her routine

Devia Morgenstern

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feel like I must emphasize, if you do decide to use the clothe idea, be gentle and make sure it's not too tight. Be careful not to choke her.

PandorasPaw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not 100% positive that these will work but here's some tactics to try so the experience is easier for her
-don't suddenly put it on her. Allow her to sniff the cone. Have something you say that let's her know it's time to wear the cone.
-Use a lot of treats or a special food such as Tuna
-I don't know how you put it on her, but I know that cats hate being held down by the legs, chest, or neck, so avoid that if possible
-make it a part of her ritual. Say her routine is break-feast, playtime, nap time, then dinner. You could do it around break-feast time, or after play-time when she's winding down for a nap. Make it predictable so she knows what to expect.
-acclimate her to the sensation of a cone around her neck. One way to emulate that without using the cone would be using a small cloth. Just gently place it around the sides of her head, being careful not to cover her nose, eyes, or mouth. Only do it briefly at first. Then as she adjusts to the sensation for longer and longer periods. Again, use a special food, and make it part of her routine
Thank you so much for all the helpful advice Devia. Unfortunately, my girl has always been highly anxious and freaks out at almost anything, so this is a struggle for sure...

I tried again to put it on earlier today in a more calm way, and tried to be less invasive, but she ended up freaking out and growling/swatting at me again, so I gave up for a second time. I'm considering calling the vet that did her surgery and asking if I can bring her in to have them put a cone on her for me if I can't get your suggestions to work soon - I'm worried.

This is what her incision looks like as if now, 3 AM. She's still behaving normally, is playful, and doesn't seem too bothered so far, but it appears the incision has been opened? How bad is this?

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If you believe that the incision is opening, contact your vet. Ask if you can at least send the pic.

PandorasPaw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you believe that the incision is opening, contact your vet. Ask if you can at least send the pic.
Thanks so much for responding! Sorry for the late reply. I did consult a vet - it turns out that's not actually the incision that opened...not the spay incision, anyway! It's the tattoo incision, lol. Her actual spay incision is still closed and the vet thinks it looks great!

PandorasPaw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you talked to your vet? Maybe he/she might have some ideas.
I consulted a vet about it! It turns out that's not her spay incision, it's her tattoo incision that opened a bit. Which isn't really a big deal. Her actual incision is still unopened, and the vet thinks it looks very good.

Thanks so much for replying!