Does my cat look like a Russian Blue?

lindsayb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just adopted my very first cat, Nimbus yesterday. After some research on the Russian Blue breed, I think my new baby may at least have a little Russian Blue in his bloodlines. His personality is even similar to the characteristic Blue personality. He is very calm and quiet, he loves to cuddle, and he follows me around like a puppy. I am absolutely in love with him already. I have attached a few pictures of Nimbus so that you guys can help me decide. Any input is greatly appreciated
!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

lindsayb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I guess you can only submit one picture at a time? So here is another one.

Last edited by a moderator:

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww...he looks like he's smiling in the top picture
. I can see how you're in love with him already.

His coat color looks Russian Blue-ish. He's a cutie.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would like to see more good picts, but yes, as long we call him a somewhat look alike, yes, he seems to be a somewhat look alike a RB.  Prob the british version...

Green eyes, silvery tips on the fur...  Perhaps even a pet quality real RB??

Without papers, or at least good proofs, we cant know what he IS.  What we can discuss is just, if he does look alikes something...   As technically he is what most cats are, a domestic [short hair].

Grey is called blue in cat friends language.

Good luck!

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
RBs are a pretty rare cat, so the liklihood of having any genuine RB anywhere in his ancestry is pretty low, especially given pedigrees only make up 5% or so of all cats.  Also personality is no guide to breed - whilst there are general breed personalities they are not given - you can find shy Orientals and bright Persians.  For example, Orientals are meant to be bright, and I have one who seems stupid or is so clever he pretends to be stupid!

However he sounds a wonderful cat and hope you have many happy years with him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lindsayb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
At this point it doesn't matter to me what he is. He is exactly what I was looking for :)

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I just saw this... as everyone is saying, he's a domestic, but my goodness, he does have a Russian look about him...  I'm going to hazard a guess that there is some in there somewhere

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe, maybe not... does it matter? :p The quota of Cute is definitely there.

Reminds me of this:
Communi-cat-ion

A Small Grey Cat
Quirks his tail into a question
Mark, and his
Ears, like apostrophes,
Prick up at the sound
of the refrigerator door.

Smooth fur, underlined
By stylish stripes
Parenthesized around
A long lean body
Flows in italicized motion
On four quotation-mark paws

And pupils, like slanted
Black dashes, in
Hyphenated eyes
Lock onto me.

A pink-comma tongue
Curls into the milk, leaving
A white ellipsis
On his grey-furred chin.

I watch, and decide
(after years of research
and careful thought)
It would be so very simple
To replace punctuation
with Small Grey Cats.
(Er... but don't give the kitty milk, they're most likely lactose intolerant. there's lactose free cat milk available in the treat section though.)

Last edited:

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I guess you can only submit one picture at a time? So here is another one.
I think you can only upload one picture at a time. But you can keep going back to the attachment icon to get more pictures. Just don't click on the Submit button at the bottom of the post until you have all of your pictures uploaded. I like to click on Preview first just to make sure everything went where I wanted it.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
StaceyAnn.  The answers to you are essentially the same as to your precedessor...

We cant really know, unless you know his background.

But to your question as represented by these the two pics:  

I can imagine he can perhaps be a russian blue of pet quality.  Or at least, have a very recent RB ancestor.

The profile of the head isnt too bad.  Eyes no good green, but still greenish.

There is this silvery shimmer. He is quite light, as the american RB usually are.  Also the typical smile of the american RB   (the scandinavian male RB seems instead to frown cruelly - which is just a little skin fold above their eyes,  they ARE mild and friendly both to humans and their wives)

Although, if you dont know his history, and nothing points for him being a RB for real, the most probable he is

a "moggie", who does happen to resemble somewhat a RB.  It is not unusual!   

missysw4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Definitely looks as if he has some Russian Blue in him.  If his eyes are light green, a softer green than other cats, that is an indicator of Russian Blue.   I tend to think that breed does in fact have something to do with personality.  These are genes we are talking about after all.  I had a long haired girl that had some Russian Blue in her.  She was quite mellow and more of a quiet cat, but very sweet at the same time.  Kind of shy as well. 

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now, if a cat has  a coat like this, a head shape like this, and eyes THIS color,  that would look very Russian Blue! 

http://www.russianblue.net/e-standard.html

Some RBs in Japan  http://snow-island.russianblue.net/

Or here is a very handsome UK style RB http://www.russianblue.org.uk/im/george.html

But maybe this is what you mean by light green.  It's  not the most vivid RB eye color I've seen,  but I wouldn't call it really light green either.)

Of course there is  variation in the exact shade and in the depth and there are RBs with lighter color eyes....   but I don't want people thinking that pale green eyes on a grey cat = Russian Blue.   There are really very few Russian Blues but a lot of lovely blue DSH cats that  may look like some of them,  or may look like some of their ancestors ( because today's Russian Blues are really made up of cats from several countries,  not just Russia but various European countries )

dee52782

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I thought this chat was very interesting since my kitten looks a lot like a Russian blue as well , I know that's she obviously not a pure breed since we adopted her from a shelter but I think she is beautiful and just had to share :)This was her on the ride home for the 1st time .(We've only had her a couple days) She is already very affectionate and just adorable..I couldn't have picked a better kitten :)

Last edited:

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Dee  she is just beautiful!  and yes she does resemble a Russian Blue.  though it would be very unlikely she is one.   but she's got the same kind of thing going on with the silvery coat.  She looks like a confident little girl.  

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agree, quite a some RB-alike look about Dee.

Everyone a winner here!   Dee, you, the shelter who found a good home for one of their protegées, and this unknown homeless who will now be admitted to the shelter, because there is now a free place unoccupied.

Good luck!

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Just fell in to this thread and so glad I found it. These two little cats look lovely, there are just not enough lovely grey cats in this world. With the shades of green eyes, mouth shaping and general head shape they do have a look of Russian Blue about them although I agree with StefanZ and Maewkaew that they are highly unlikely to be pure bred.

I have a UK GCCF certificated Russian Blue and a friend of mine has a cat that they understand (from the friend they got her from) has RB ancestry. To be honest there is not a huge amount of difference to look at them.  Mouse has a more dense, softer coat than my friend's cat and slightly different sheen to it, but to look at it isn't that obvious other than maybe at his throat and chest. His ears are a bit bigger and upright too, but that's a European RB standard and not an America one.  Mouse's eyes are a kind of blue green olive shade but he has a younger sister who has the most amazing bluish emerald / teal eyes.  Also, he is incredibly gentle (playful and confident but a real softy who doesn't know what growling, hissing or spitting mean).  Missysw4 is correct in saying that personality has a lot to do with the RB breed quality: it accounts for a very high proportion of points from Russian Blue show judges here in UK. 

Enjoy your beautiful cats.  Dee52782 , what a stunning little girl, how lucky you both are to have found each other at that shelter. 

dee52782

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for the kind words. I Do feel lucky I've found her and I feel like we've already started to bond...I don't think she's stopped purring since I've brought her home lol She seems very attached to me and my fiance already and of course we absolutely love our furry new baby :)

Last edited: