Does my cat know im pregnant

Catmam2OceanBlue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My little kitty is 6months old and kneeds his paws into me always at night and early morning, usually sits on my chest and does it but has started doing it on my belly. Can he sense I'm carrying a sibling? I know dogs are great at this my dogs always closer to me when pregnant. What is the reason cats kneed as I am the only person in the house he does it too and it can get painful digging his claws but I've read it's affection? Would be interested to know

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cats can sense hormonal changes, as well as medicines taken by humans in some cases - even as young as yours I suppose. I am not sure how to stop what he is doing right now (short of keeping his claws trimmed, and maybe laying a heavy blanket over you). But you might be interested in reading this TCS article (see link below). Congratulations!!!
Cats And Babies: All Your Questions Answered! – TheCatSite Articles

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, cats, just like dogs and horses, know that you are pregnant. It is possible to train your kitten "claw control". Kneading is often a behavior that is the result of being weaned too early. I find that offering "comfort grooming" (using a cheap plastic men's comb, and holding your thumb across the teeth to adjust tooth length and pressure, groom using short "J" strokes that mimic a mother's licks) can greatly decrease Kneading. And congratulations on your upcoming blessed event!

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She may know. The kneading may be related or may have nothing to do with it. It is a behavior they first do when nursing, it gives them comfort. There are other reasons, such as showing contentment, marking territory, nesting etc. They do it to cat companions as well. You should clip his claws and it won’t hurt you. Now is a good time to get him used to that and grooming etc.

My cats do air kneading and sometimes their beds or me. Quinn is a bigtime kneader, when he cuddles up with me he loves to knead my arm, he does it so hard it really hurts, lol. Ugh. I pit a towel on my arm if his claws are sharp. He will sometimes bite my arm after. Then he goes to sleep usually. He does it to Merlin if Merlin is bugging me to feed him and I am stressed, to try to calm Merlin and shut him up😹

Is my cat's kneading normal?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catmam2OceanBlue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats smell & hear as well as dogs do. I’m sure you smell pregant & eventually the cat will be able to hear the babies heartbeat. 🤷🏻‍♀️
Awh I love that! He used to purch himself on my face and go to sleep but now he prefers my tummy but I need to sort his nails out as it hurts so much the kneading he does before settling