Does my cat have the stomach flu?

1yss2332

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Beginning on Friday night, my cat Mozart started to act differently. He kept on throwing up, wasn’t eating anything, lethargic, and had diarrhea. I immediately went to the emergency vet to see what was going on. He had his vitals checked, blood drawn, and X-rays done.

The vet wasn’t able to find anything out of the ordinary, or indicating a blockage. The only thing they noticed was a low grade fever. My kitten also experienced similar symptoms last week, but I attributed it to pain from her spay procedure earlier that week (She has since recovered and is back to normal)

The vet told me she believes it is Gastroenteritis and told me to bring him back if he wasn’t eating by today. He’s still lethargic, but isn’t hiding anymore, and eating a little bit of food. I am still really scared because I’ve never seen him sick like this before. Does anyone have any experience with something similar happening? It never occurred to me that it could have been passed on by the kitten.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Gatroenteritis is a build up of gas in the colon. Sometimes it's caused by food and stress is a contributing factor many times. I actually wonder if he has/had pancreatitis which is an inflammation of the pancreas and causes vomiting, lack of appetite, and sometimes diarrhea. I would definitely get him back to the vet if he's still running a fever. You can use an ear thermometer and get a good reading.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

1yss2332

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Gatroenteritis is a build up of gas in the colon. Sometimes it's caused by food and stress is a contributing factor many times. I actually wonder if he has/had pancreatitis which is an inflammation of the pancreas and causes vomiting, lack of appetite, and sometimes diarrhea. I would definitely get him back to the vet if he's still running a fever. You can use an ear thermometer and get a good reading.
Would pancreatitis show up on an X-ray or in a CBC?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pancreatitis does not show up on an x-ray, but there is a special blood test that can be done. It takes about 45 minutes to get the results.