Does My Cat Have A Uti?

10crazycats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone!
So this morning my mom came into my room and told me our 6 year old tri-pod kitty won’t eat or move around. Mom said she was dehydrated and won’t leave her bathroom so she left a bowl of water in there for her. Our kitty Mitzi was perfectly fine last night and she tends to sleep the day away anyway, so I figured my mom was exaggerating. After my mom left for work and I got up to feed the cats, I purposely made a bunch of noise to see if she’d try running into the kitchen like she normally does but no... she just laid on my mom’s bathroom rug.

I felt her up a little to see if it would hurt too much to pick her up and bring her to the food and she surprisingly let me. However she didn’t eat. She sat there in front of her plate for a bit and then very slowly walked back to the bathroom. At first I thought there was something wrong with her front leg (or lack of one).

BUT when I put my arm down I felt something cold on my shirt. I looked and saw a small spot that looked something like spit or clear mucus. At first I thought did I sneeze that hard? LOL did one of my cats spit on me in my sleep? Rude! Anyways I got a spoon since I couldn’t find our old kitty syringes and gave her a bit of water with the spoon. She didn’t appreciate me holding her face like that but she also didn’t try moving away from me and she would just immediately lay back down.

So at this point I know she’s lethargic and lost her appetite. I start feeling her body and notice a spot on her tail looks wet. At first I panicked. “Is she so sick that she peed here?” But I didn’t find any urine. I tried a few times to lift her tail and she would not let me. I could see her body kind of shaking every time I tried. I finally looks and found the source of that “spit” on my shirt from earlier. I had her vaginal discharge on me all this time!

I’ve looked up every cause of vaginal discharge for cats I could find and almost all arrows are pointed to a urinary infection. I even looked into pyometra but that didn’t seem to fit her because for 1 she’s spayed, and 2 she’s given birth before. Does this sound like a typical case of a UTI to anyone? Me and my mom plan to get her some antibiotics from the vet today if possible. I’m looking to see if there are any natural home remedies as well. Money is tight. But if anyone out there has had a similar situation with their cat I’d love to hear it!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It sounds like she needs a vet visit. Giving antibiotics without knowing the actual problem can cause more problems. Either by delaying treatment if they don't help or making it more resistant if it is the wrong type of antibacterial or not given long enough.

Her behavior sounds like whatever is wrong has been developing for a while and calls for a vet visit to be sure you get to the root of the problem. It could be a UTI, it could also be she leaked because she's holding in her urine since she isn't moving and thereby not going to the litter box. It could be she is constipated and can't comfortably move which antibiotics can do nothing for. It could be she is injured from a bad fall and needs more then just antibiotics. It could be a kidney related problem that is causing problems which would be different from just antibiotics as well.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Whatever the cause, Kieka Kieka is right, and a vet is necessary. Severe dehydration can happen fairly quickly, and it can kill just as quickly. I don't want to frighten you, but this is serious, and VERY unlikely to clear up on its own.