Does it take you by surprise...

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess this is for the gals here...being called ma'am?

I was at the pharmacy today and the pharmacist called me "Ma'am"!
My first thought was "Good God, when did I get old?!"

Today wasn't the first time I've been called ma'am but it always takes me by surprise.

I never minded being called "miss" because it's sweet and innocent sounding...but ma'am...

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Better than being called "Sir!" Which I was after my last haircut a few months ago!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

Better than being called "Sir!" Which I was after my last haircut a few months ago!
That wasn't nice!!!

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You are lucky they held off this late in the game for you! I think I was called ma'am quite a few years ago. It does make you feel old doesn't it?

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Occaisionally one of my students (I TA for a Genetics lab) will call me ma'am, and it really throws me for a loop! Hahaha, it makes me feel so old, even though I'm only a few years older than them at the most!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like getting called ma am it beats sweetie darling and kiddo .. I am 28 and look 14-17 ( when I get Moms smokes I get IDd..

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I regularly eat at local diner and the waitresses routinely address my luncheon companion and myself as "you guys". Jen and I would MUCH rather be addressed as "Ladies" or "Ma'am".

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Oh I'm sorry to laugh but I do feel your pain! My last haircut was a nightmare - cropped short 60's style, looked like a boy.
Do you get that Tetley tea advert where the woman is bawling her eyes out 'cos of her awful haircut and her friend is trying to console her? Cracks me up every time.
I'm afraid at 33 I've gotten used to ma'am. At least it's a respectful salutation after all. Definitely better than "sir"!

butter&mumu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thats nothing.
you really know your old when you go to buy wine or beer in the grocery store and they don't bother to card you. hell, i get excited when they card me and i am not that old, i am only 27...probably look slightly older.....i blame my children

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

That happened to me, too! It's like, how many guys do you see in maroon courduroys & a maroon beaded shirt!?!? I dressed very feminine the day I got my hair cut so I wouldn't be mistaken for a guy! As far as ma'am. I get called 'young lady' more foten than ma'am. I have gotten to wher I don't respond to yougn lady, but wait until they say ma'am. After all, I am almost 19.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get thrown more when I am in a store and someone says "that woman over there asked if we had ____" I think "What woman?"
Im not a woman, Im a YOUNG woman
(btw, I just turned 27)
I look in the mirror everytime someone calls me that and think "Gawd! I AM a woman!"

edithtippett

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It sort of annoys me, I guess I just don't like the word. At 36 though I guess i am starting to look old enough to be the mom of the kid working the drive thru window. When I used to be a substitute teacher I would write "Miss Tippett" on the board and tell kids they could call me that or "sir"-just to confuse the heck out of them. If they asked me what my first name was I always said "Frank". Just my own warped sense of humour I guess.

sammie5

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I actually like saying dude or dudette
Heh. I'd prefer ma'am.

I got used to it, many years ago, but I will admit that I liked getting the car filled with gas at the station where the young man called me "miss". And I love the formality of the armed services traditions - I wouldn't mind being called ma'am when it's a sign of respect. I was at a conference with people college age and up. I got on a bus to go to one event, and a young man, who was just in his first year of the Marines, jumped up and insisted that I take his seat. There was no reason, I am completely able bodied, but he was trained in manners and just couldn't sit if there was a woman standing.