Does it ever end?

linda_of_pgff

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Shorty,

Originally Posted by Shorty14788

There's a good chance that he had FIV or FeLV and I didn't want to bring him in and expose my cats to it.
Must be because we do TNR here, we show very low rates of disease. And that rate is very consistent with the findings of the veterinary studies on disease rates in stray and feral cats compared with that in the pet population. It is REALLY noteworthy that Shorty's area is rife with disease. In fact, I think you should invite the CDC to take a look at why!

Seriously. Although we no longer test cats in our TNR program, it is because our rate of positives was already low when we WERE testing. In addition, there has been no disease seen in our colonies for several years, so that leads us to believe with some confidence that we are not facing a dangerous health threat to the cats.

Shorty, please tell us more about the disease rates you have? Is the rate in pet cats in your area matching that of the ferals (as it does in the rest of the country)? Aren't pet owners very upset about that? What kind of vaccine protocol are your veterinarians using? Aren't the veterinarians beside themselves over the lack of resistance to disease??

shorty14788

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In my local neighborhood, we have had about 10 cats and kittens test positive for FIV in the past couple of months. Its because everyone here decides to feed the cats but then does nothing more to help. I can think of at least 3 homes that feed five or more cats that haven't been fixed and more then likely, haven't been vaccinated. The people who live next door to me, allow there cat to go outside. The only problem is that she isn't vaccinated for FIV or FeLV. Even after I warned them about how many cats in our area have it, they still haven't taken her in for vaccines. The disease just continues to spread....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by MNJULZ

Are you familiar with the MN Spay neuter project that Pet Haven is doing?
http://www.pethavenmn.org/spay-neuter-initiative.php also Animal Ark now has the neuter commuter and going all over the State to spay and neuter cats. Give them a call.
I'm 3 hours from the TC area, so the Pet Haven one isn't an option.

mnjulz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you spoken to Pet Haven? They have vets all over the state. If they don't have a vet close to you, maybe they can refer you to someone else that would help out. If you can find a vet in your area that will work with them, I'm sure they would be willing to help.