Does herpesvirus clear on its own?

Ganttla

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Two kittens (approx 3 months old) are showing signs of herpesvirus...
  • Watery eyes
  • Sneezing
  • Coughing
  • One of them with one eye corneal ulcer
  1. Does it run its course without any intervention?
  2. Is it a matter of just managing the symptoms until it runs its course?
  3. How long does it typically take to run its course?
  4. What else causes the same symptoms?
Thanks all!

bear

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Most herpes virus do not clear. The symptoms may clear. However the herpes virus kind of goes into hiding, usually in the nervous system. Stress, either physical or emotional can cause it to be activated and spread out from the nervous system again at a later time.

Some of the symptoms require supportive veterinary help for our feline friends, like eye ulcers or cat flu like symptoms.

Since stress can trigger it, the length of time it takes for symptoms to subside depends on the stressors.
Introduction of a new cat into the home may cause activation for an existing cat.
If the new cat is aggressive, it may take considerable time before the symptoms in the existing cat subsides.

What has your kittens Vet said about their symptoms?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ganttla

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
[/QUOTE]
Most herpes virus do not clear. The symptoms may clear. However the herpes virus kind of goes into hiding, usually in the nervous system. Stress, either physical or emotional can cause it to be activated and spread out from the nervous system again at a later time.

Some of the symptoms require supportive veterinary help for our feline friends, like eye ulcers or cat flu like symptoms.

Since stress can trigger it, the length of time it takes for symptoms to subside depends on the stressors.
Introduction of a new cat into the home may cause activation for an existing cat.
If the new cat is aggressive, it may take considerable time before the symptoms in the existing cat subsides.

What has your kittens Vet said about their symptoms?
No vets around here. There was only one and he's not here.

No stressor I can think of. The cats have been in the same environment

bear

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The folks on this site are very likely like myself and not a vet.
I did see your recent prior post regarding a white pimple in the eye I don't have the training to have that info lead me to corneal ulcer. My experiences with my personal cats with herpes eye problems have not taken that path.
Corneal damage can originate from multiple paths, including trauma, scratches, herpes and other causes.
My cat's experiences have included Vets having veterinarian products they use to enhance what they are seeing on the eye to help them develop a diagnosis.

However, here is a link to Cornel University Vet School that may provide additional info.
Corneal Ulcers | Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine

I have seen some other discussions about how affective (yes or no) the amino acid treatment can be. So it isn't like a for sure cure.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have to have that ulcer taken care of with eye medication or it will take the sight of that eye. Feline Herpes DOES run it's course in a few weeks, but if it develops into something worse, like a bacterial eye infection, or lung problems, there must be intervention with antibiotics. It is a virus, so just the symptoms have to be taken care of with rest, warmth, and lots of humidity to help with breathing.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Aside from the corneal ulcer, I have had episodes of URI's which presented the other three symptoms. One of these did result in a "breakout" among my indoor only cats and all required veterinary care.