Does he look like a Pure Bengal?

twokatz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

The problem with this is that people with ill intentions don't care if they get papers, they are not planning on being registered breeders. That's why most breeders alter before placing kittens.
This statement surprises me as I have spoken to many, many breeders lately in the search for my dogs and cats. I only made initial contact with breeders that had a high enough standard and were known and respected by peers that I felt good about. I only had maybe one, a cat breeder, say they would not place the cat until spayed/neutered, I said "no thanks". When I finally got my animals the breeders kept close contact with me until they were assured the procedure was done and the animals in a good environment. I paid plenty of money for a quality well bred animal and never with the intention of breeding, why would I not want the registraion?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well 20 yrs ago it was not that much of a problem with people taking kittens at 4 months and having them neutered 3-4 months later. I bred Cornish Rexes, never had a problem with owners not neutering/spaying at 6-8 months old.

So I was a bit surprised with the breeders now, but see the reasoning behind it. Apparently many breeders have had a problem in their kittens not getting done, so to save time/money they have them done by 4 months of age.

I haven't heard any problems with neutering younger then 6 months. Only thing is appearance - some males don't get the "big" male head and body that their breeding brothers get. Its not a problem on pets, but could be a slight problem in the show ring if the males are supposed to have bigger heads.

By Charlie being neutered at 3 months, he never got the bigger head and so has not done quite as well in the ring. We are holding off neutering Jack until 4 to 4 1/2 months (just before I get him at 5 months) to see if it will make a little difference. Its part on genetics, part on neutering young - they are not out of the same lines.

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry this is off topic but as for the early spay/neuter very very few vets do early spay/neuter in my area. I got Veeshan in 2005 and was unable to find a vet who would spay her before 4 months of age. I have since then called many vets and was able to find one vet in a reasonable driving distance that will early spay/neuter at 2 lbs.

I think about this issue often. I love my vet and I am not sure if I will be early spay/neutering my future kittens or not. I want to but I just don't know how I feel about taking my kittens to a vet I do not have a relationship with just for spay/neuter. How will my vet or that other vet feel about that situation also? What if this vet is not breeder friendly? When the time gets closer (like when I actually have my first breeding female) I will be discussing this issue more deeply with my vet.

I have had 4 vets in my adult life and not one has spay/neutered before 6 months of age. I am extremely happy with my current vet even though she does not alter before 6 months of age. My new kitten, Porcelain, will not be spayed till she is at least 6 months old.

I do not feel breeders are byb's if they do not early alter. I hope I will not be viewed as one because I might choose not to early alter.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
FWIW re pricing, I was at a cat show in Wheaton IL just a few weeks ago - it seemed to me that a lot of the kitten and retired cats were being being offered for lower prices than even a year ago - which I attributed to the economy. I was just there to see the pretty kitties - my own two are adopted DSH's.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vets are old school where I live too. They wait till they weigh so much or are 5-6 months old.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kitytize

What if this vet is not breeder friendly?
Maybe another breeder will be able to recommend someone, my current vet (also a breeder and judge) is retiring so a friend who breeds took me to meet her vet and I will be using him in the future as he does early neuter and I liked him.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well in the UK, the govt has produced an information paper that says cats should be neutered/spayed at 4 months old - but most vets still won't do it until 6 months!

So if the OP is in the UK do not pay any attention to anything on this thread that anyone has said about bad breeders - when I got kittens I had them for a couple of months before neutering, there is nothing that breeders can do about that and even the best breeders let kittens go before neutering, but most do ask for a letter from your vet to confirm that it is done before releasing their registration papers!

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I got Simba at 4 months, and got him neutered a week after I got him. Actually, I'm glad he was neutered at that age, because I think it makes him look more beautiful. I'm not fond of that big headed male look. Simba is 5 years old now, and he still looks youthful, kind of like a 6 or 7 month old, no jowls, which I find very unattractive.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

By Charlie being neutered at 3 months, he never got the bigger head and so has not done quite as well in the ring.
Surely your judges realise neuters look different to entires? Most all of our judges comment to the audience that you won't get the jowls on neuters.

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Judges are supposed to take jowls into account, but I'm told even in Maus it is best to show males very early. Once they develop the jowly look they quite often are overlooked in favour of the younger, leaner, males.