Does every cat loves cat house?

mysterycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm planning to buy one for my Charlie but I'm doubtful if he will like it. Should I buy or just build?

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat totally is in love with hers! Worthwhile investment if you have a cat.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you have the skills and materials, I'd make one. There are lots of design ideas and free plans online.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mysterycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can provide materials and I know someone that can make one, I'm so excited! Charlie deserves a cat house and every cat does!

mysterycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi!

I just would like to know if which is more cheaper, to buy or to build?

I don't have the skills in making one, but I'm going to hire someone...

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you're going to pay someone to do it the cost will be about the same as buying one premade. That's where the cost for the cat trees in stores comes from - labor.
Though there is something to be said about having one built for you that you know is built well and not in China.

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, if you're paying to have it built, go find a good one in a pet storeinstead. I built one for about $80 in materials, and it is the same size (4'x2' base, 5' high) as $300 cat trees I've seen. Building is not hard, as long as you can screw plywood into a box shape.

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I purchased mine at Petco - It's also a scratching post. My cats have used it only a few times as a house and scratcher.

If your cat likes the smell of catnip, you can spray a spritz of catnip on or inside the house, but not too much.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not sure my cat would know what to do with it! That said, do make sure the 'house' part is big enough for your cat, now and in the future. When I was looking for a cat tree/house I noticed that some of the cubby holes were waaayyyy too small for Ritz, a big, tall cat already at 18 months.

mysterycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your advice and suggestions...

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I personally would build one. The ones that I see at the stores there are spots that I know my cats wouldnt like and parts they would so there are about 3 there that I want to take apart to make my own. Im working on convincing BF that when we do the remodeling of the 2 bedrooms into one and move the catroom and spare room into the bigger back bedroom I want him to make a full corner type cathouse/tree for them.

cancan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you know someone who knows how to build cat house, then to build one. If not, I think you'd better to buy one.

miao_kitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i agree...building one is definitely labour intensive. And you have to be careful b/c my cat tree is heavy and yet my fat cat has made it rock. So if you want a big one you have to make sure it's got a big enough base and is "bottom heavy" so it's not pulled over. That thing get kitten launches from a few feet away and has taken quite a beating.

And from my experience of being a poor college student, I have to say that the crappy ones DO NOT COMPARE to the well-built Petco ones. I got my tree pre-assembled from PetCo about 4 years ago and it still looks almost brand-new - except for the sisal that they scratch. It is sturdy, well built, and my fat cat fits into the cubbies. For a while it was the most expensive piece of furniture that I owned (might still be now that I've sold my couch LOL). And it is a purchase I have never regretted!

ronss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i bought one at petco, and my cat hates it...i have tryed putting him inside, and it reminds him of getting into the carrying cage going to the vet....what a waste of $60.....any enclosure, he runs...

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ronss

i bought one at petco, and my cat hates it...i have tryed putting him inside, and it reminds him of getting into the carrying cage going to the vet....what a waste of $60.....any enclosure, he runs...
Well, you know cats. They like to do things by themself

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My stepfather was building and selling them for a while. They sold like crazy. More expensive than pet store ones but they were heavy, solid and had little houses, many levels and ladders. Every customer was a happy one. He had permission to get scrap carpet from the bins of various businesses. Only things he actually bought was wood (unless people gave him some) and stuff like glue sticks and staples.
I imagine MOST cats love them. Gives them something to claw apart, jump on, hide in and look out windows from.