Does EATING liver cause diarrhea (in cats)

adering

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So one of my two cats seems to have diarrhea on and off. His energy levels are fine, he's not hiding in a corner, but when he uses the box, it's diarrhea for several days. Several days off (I think), then back again. This has been going on for a couple of weeks. I can't even be sure the diarrhea has stopped (the evidence is usually the sound and the smell -- my God, the smell, it's incredible) and the unusual shapes in the clumping litter when I empty the boxes.
They were getting Friskies pate Ocean Whitefish, Mixed Grill, and Turkey & Giblets depending on what I pulled out of the box at cat o'morning to feed them in a half-awake stupor. I've now been feeding them Ocean Whitefish only for several days and the diarrhea seems to have stopped, but I can't be sure that it isn't a coincidence.
So here's the question: the only different item I see on the ingredient label between the different flavors is liver--the whitefish does not have it. Has anyone had any experience with a cat that had a food allergy triggered by eating liver? It seems like a very unusual item to have an allergy to.
I am monitoring the cat's energy level and weight. He isn't losing any weight, either. And he hasn't been outside, he hasn't eaten any plants, he hasn't eaten any people food. He isn't experimenting with drugs to impress his friends, etc.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
It is very normal for stomach upsets when moving on to new flavors or any type of food change as the stomach is not accustomed to the new ingredients. Usually any change of food needs slow transition by mixing new and old over a period of time.

Other than that, it could be some cats cannot stomach new food as they have weaker stomach in adjusting to new food.

Stop giving liver for the time being and let the diarrhea subside till he's well again, then maybe try a little again instead of more and see if diarrhea persist or not. If it does, it could be due to the liver and he can't take it. Otherwise, if he's ok with the current food, just stick to it and don't change so that he won't have any upset tummy.