does Domino need a new buddy?

chloetucker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I used to have a two cat household. Domino and Izzy would sleep cuddled up at night, groom eachother, and play all day. Izzy was almost ten when we got Domino, and Domino has been with Izzy his whole life. Izzy recently got kidney disease and we had to put him down:( I know I can't ever get a cat to replace Izzy, my first pet, but I am wondering if Domino is lonely. He has never been an only cat and he seems to be lonely. He is much more vocal then he was before and his meowing is deeper, longer and louder. I can't help thinking his is searching for Izzy... :( Anyways, my question is, do you guys think I should get Domino a companion? During the school year he is usually alone all day, and he sleeps alone at night (we don't let him sleep in our bedrooms, because not much sleeping happens, and as soon as you move in the morning he wants food.)

I know I can support a kitten, and I wouldn't want to get a cat that is older than Domino (three years) because I fear there would be a problem with dominance. I just don't know whether its just me wanting a kitten, or if I really am concerned about Domino's loneliness to a point where I adopt another cat. 

So the question is: to get a new cat, or to keep Dom as an only child for a while?

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used to have a two cat household. Domino and Izzy would sleep cuddled up at night, groom eachother, and play all day. Izzy was almost ten when we got Domino, and Domino has been with Izzy his whole life. Izzy recently got kidney disease and we had to put him down:( I know I can't ever get a cat to replace Izzy, my first pet, but I am wondering if Domino is lonely. He has never been an only cat and he seems to be lonely. He is much more vocal then he was before and his meowing is deeper, longer and louder. I can't help thinking his is searching for Izzy... :( Anyways, my question is, do you guys think I should get Domino a companion? During the school year he is usually alone all day, and he sleeps alone at night (we don't let him sleep in our bedrooms, because not much sleeping happens, and as soon as you move in the morning he wants food.)

I know I can support a kitten, and I wouldn't want to get a cat that is older than Domino (three years) because I fear there would be a problem with dominance. I just don't know whether its just me wanting a kitten, or if I really am concerned about Domino's loneliness to a point where I adopt another cat. 

So the question is: to get a new cat, or to keep Dom as an only child for a while?
I think it is largely up to you and what you are comfortable with.  It does sound like he might benefit from a companion.  

That said, people mean different things when they say kitten, but I'd actually advise you to get a cat that is a bit older- say 6 months to a year if you want one younger than Domino for sure.  Kittens that age still have lots of energy but would be less likely to drive an older cat craaazy the way teeny tiny kittens can do.  You don't want to be in a situation with dominance issues, and I respect that, but I think Domino taking a dislike to the kitten just for being a kitten would be equally bad if not worse.

Good luck whatever you decide :) You seem like a pet owner with a lot of love to give!!

msbedelia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree with tulosai about getting a companion who is 6 months to a year.

I think another cat is a good idea, eventually, assuming it work for you (as it sounds like it does). Be sure to give Domino some time to mourn before throwing his world upside down again with a new kitty though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chloetucker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Alright, Thanks guys! I don't think I could find a baby baby kitten for a reasonable price anyways, they always get snatched up pretty quick at the humane society too. Domino is a pretty energetic cat, and wanted to play with Izzy a lot more than Izzy could stand hahaha. I am worried about loneliness when I am at school and work... maybe I will give it a month or so and then invest in a kitten. I will look at older kittens, but I do want a friendly cat, and a kitten wouldn't know anything else but me.

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Alright, Thanks guys! I don't think I could find a baby baby kitten for a reasonable price anyways, they always get snatched up pretty quick at the humane society too. Domino is a pretty energetic cat, and wanted to play with Izzy a lot more than Izzy could stand hahaha. I am worried about loneliness when I am at school and work... maybe I will give it a month or so and then invest in a kitten. I will look at older kittens, but I do want a friendly cat, and a kitten wouldn't know anything else but me.
I honestly am not meaning to pressure you to get an 'older' cat, but believe me you can find very friendly 6 and 1 year old cats, and you can also end up with a sourpuss kitten.  If anything, I do think you get a slightly more realistic view of an older cat's temperment than you get of a kitten's (especially if you are only getting one kitten and when you see him/her he is still with his mom and littermates).  It is also just as possible for a 2 month old kitten to have known something else and been traumatized in some way (unfortunately) as it is for a 1 year old, and the 2 month old will have had much less time to get over it. Obviously, again, it is your kitten, and I am not trying to do a hard sell, but don't be misled into thinking a tinier kitten will be friendlier because it only will have known you.  It just is not the case.

msbedelia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I too would discourage anyone from thinking an older cat is less likely to be friendly. Plenty of very friendly 1 year olds, 3 year olds, 7 year olds, etc who are looking for homes! Sounds like an old kitten or a very young cat is a good fit for you based on Domino's age and your desired energy level, but people seeking friendly cats shouldn't limit themselves to kittens. :)

chloetucker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No no, I didn't think you were discouraging a young cat at all, in fact, I'm grateful that you recommended an older cat because I honestly wouldn't have thought of it. But there are cats out there that are older and still need a home. I was looking for a young cat both for Domino's age and because I don't think I could deal with another death in the family anytime soon, and Izzy had a solid nine years left in him before kidney disease. Maybe in a month or two when Domino has had time to grieve and I have had time to grieve, we will get a young cat. Thanks for the advice!

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I too would discourage anyone from thinking an older cat is less likely to be friendly. Plenty of very friendly 1 year olds, 3 year olds, 7 year olds, etc who are looking for homes! 
Sheba was about 4 when I adopted her. She is a spoiled, loving, playful kitty. She runs around with S&S and almost seems like a third litter-mate.

chloetucker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The only reason I wasn't looking at older cats was because I felt like Domino wouldn't be very happy if I brought a cat that had seniority over him into a house that he is dominant of.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Go to the shelter and look at some older cats. There is probably one that will be just what you are looking for.  Play with a few choices and see how they act around other cats there.