Does D-Mannose affect other supplements/medication if mixed?

myrlien

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. I'm planning to start giving my cat D-Mannose and the easiest way would be through food. I also give aluminum hydroxide powder with all of her food, and the vet isn't sure if the D-Mannose may degrade its effectiveness if they're mixed. She suggested giving them separately, but I don't know how -- the aluminum hydroxide is given with literally all of her food. I thought about adding the D-Mannose to water instead, but I can't give a reliable dose that way. Anyone have experience with this?

There's some other supplements mixed in too, but aluminum hydroxide is the one I really worry about.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am surprised your vet left you 'hanging' on this one. I would have thought that they would like to know for themselves. Nonetheless, this is what I know: While D-mannose is a type of sugar, it does not get absorbed by the digestive tract. That being the case, I would not expect it to have an impact on a phosphorus binder and/or vice-versa.

You could ask the CKD io forum, but I don't know how much other information they would want you to provide - they are a pretty 'intense' group and like to have loads of information in order to advise on many things. [email protected] | Home