Does barn cat have dead eye?

hewkashl768

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There is this barn cat at my friends farm that needs help, but i dont know what to do.

They don't typically take care of the cats in any way other then they give them food scrapes such as meat and bread.

I noticed one kitten has a really bad eye infection. I can't afford to take her to the vet and i don't know anyone who will take her in. So I'm looking for home remedies.

For the past couple of days I've been giving her warm compresses and a little extra food (turkey, soft canned dog food, and dog kibble that I've soaked in water) .

The best way i can think to discribe it is that it looks like the bloated eye of a dead fish.
image000000.jpg
image000001.jpg
image000002.jpg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!
Thank you so much for working to help this little one.

Keep using the warm damp compresses, and also clean the goop from the eye. For example, in the bottom photo I can see that there's still goop around the eye. If you can gently wash that away, and wipe it as carefully as you can, that will help. You don't want to use human eyedrops, I don't think, warmish distilled water is good.

Also, more turkey if possible, and if you can find some cat food that would be helpful too. You can add some cooked white rice to the turkey mush it together and make it go further (the dog food is not bad now and then but is missing some nutrients that kittens need).

Last edited:

Mighty Orange

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Get some colloidal silver its great for wounds .

Read up

Avaible on Amazon. Also works on human cuts etc.

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Several years ago, I saw a stray cat in my neighborhood with a similar look to one of his eyes. Eventually I trapped him and was able to get him to a vet. The vet said he was blind in that eye and it was from an earlier trauma, such as a fight with another animal or a puncture wound. Because his blindness wasn't a recent occurrence, there was no active wound to treat. He wasn't in any pain or discomfort and got around just fine with one eye.

Of course, your kitty could indeed have an infection or another health issue, especially if this is something you have noticed recently. I would suggest doing all you can to get him to a vet for an assessment and any treatment that is necessary. Ask for help on social media or from family and friends. Perhaps the folks who own the barn can help out as it is in their best interest to have healthy barn cats! Thank you so much for caring for this little kitty.

Last edited: