Does Anything Know Anything About Uber?

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm wondering if anyone knows enough about Uber to help me out with an issue. I"ve taken them a few times and so has my sister. She had a subscription to Uber Eats (got sucked in by a free offer) and they kept charging 9.99 even after she went through the hoops to cancel it. Now it's happening again. They got hold of her card somehow even after she removed it from her wallet and charged her $9.99. So she went into the APP and cancelled it, to take effect Feb 24. Then she removed the card again.
Today she had to take two Uber rides to a doctor appointment and in addition to several pending charges on her card, there is another $9.99!
If anyone knows any magic trick to get rid of that stupid account for good, could you please let us know? I told her that if she needs to take another Uber in the future, I"m getting her a gift card to use.

ImaRobot

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm wondering if anyone knows enough about Uber to help me out with an issue. I"ve taken them a few times and so has my sister. She had a subscription to Uber Eats (got sucked in by a free offer) and they kept charging 9.99 even after she went through the hoops to cancel it. Now it's happening again. They got hold of her card somehow even after she removed it from her wallet and charged her $9.99. So she went into the APP and cancelled it, to take effect Feb 24. Then she removed the card again.
Today she had to take two Uber rides to a doctor appointment and in addition to several pending charges on her card, there is another $9.99!
If anyone knows any magic trick to get rid of that stupid account for good, could you please let us know? I told her that if she needs to take another Uber in the future, I"m getting her a gift card to use.
Has she tried calling them to have them remove it at their end? If you're able to go in the app and cancel it even after you said it was removed, than I'm thinking it may have never been removed in the first place as you can only have the credit card linked to one account at a time, as far as I know. That likely eliminates the fact that the card numbers could be stolen and being used by a different account.

Other than that, Id recommend not only canceling it, but deleting the card completely from the application and putting a new card in its place. If nothing else works, request a new card completely from her bank/Credit card company.

Still I'd recommend calling first if you haven't already. Also, I'd recommend disputing those charges as well, if they are in error.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has she tried calling them to have them remove it at their end? If you're able to go in the app and cancel it even after you said it was removed, than I'm thinking it may have never been removed in the first place as you can only have the credit card linked to one account at a time, as far as I know. That likely eliminates the fact that the card numbers could be stolen and being used by a different account.

Other than that, Id recommend not only canceling it, but deleting the card completely from the application and putting a new card in its place. If nothing else works, request a new card completely from her bank/Credit card company.

Still I'd recommend calling first if you haven't already. Also, I'd recommend disputing those charges as well, if they are in error.
We both tried calling initially and could never get a person. I googled and found a way to cancel it on the web site, and I did that, but apparently it didn't take. She lives in a different state and is not very savvy with technolgy, so she had trouble with the app. That's why I tried to do it on the computer. I can't log into the app as her because apparently it knows who I am and that is that. It seems that if you ride and give them a card they store it in the wallet and that's how they got the card number to auto renew. She is going to let the first 9.99 go because apparently we didn't successfully cancel it, but dispute the second one if they don't remove it.

^^That. Cancel the card. Most banks have the capability to make a new card on the spot. :)
That doesn't work, since whenever you use them for a ride they store the card you use in the wallet. I'm hoping this latest cancel took. They even had my card they charged to because I paid for a ride for her once. I disputed that (I don't even have an account) and got a new card. As soon as the ride charges on her account clear, I'm going to go in and remove the card again. Next time she needs a ride, I'll buy her a gift card for it.

Last edited:

ImaRobot

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That doesn't work, since whenever you use them for a ride they store the card you use in the wallet. I'm hoping this latest cancel took. They even had my card they charged to because I paid for a ride for her once. I disputed that (I don't even have an account) and got a new card. As soon as the ride charges on her account clear, I'm going to go in and remove the card again. Next time she needs a ride, I'll buy her a gift card for it.
this will 100% work because when you cancel your old card and request a new one it is literally impossible for them to have the new card number unless you give it to them again. It's what people do when others acquire their card information one way or another.

If she's not going to do that I very much suggest deleting the card outright. It being stored in the wallet means nothing as you can just delete it completely from your wallet. I just did it to both the cards I had set on mine just to try it out, so I suggest doing the same.

Before you get another ride I'd continue trying to get a hold of customer service to make sure they remove the subscription completely.

If none of that works there's also the app called Lyft which is more or less the same type of service.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually some banks will transfer auto payments to new cards even without your permission. I have had that happen with US bank a couple times. The easiest way to cancel and make sure it happens is to use PayPal. You can go in to your account there and delete out the auto debit account and they won’t process anything new.

For Uber, I would buy a VISA gift card which acts just like a credit card up to the balance.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Granted it will happen again, but a business who cannot keep their sh^t straight would never get my business again.
Unfortunately, she will probably need to use it again since she has no car. I think it's just smarmy business practice, suck you in with a "free trial," then you are stuck.