Does anyone use TCFeline to make their cat's raw food? And is store bought raw meat ok for my cats?

remi0889

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
 I have recently started feeding my cats a raw diet. We've transitioned over a few months and my new kitten (4 months) dove right in, while my 3 year old still needs to be persuaded

I had tried a few commercial raw food, but hated the packaging and prices and always gave up. When I found the TCfeline powder supplement, I decided to try it.

My cats do like the raw food it makes. I've added it to ground turkey, beef, and chicken so far. But I am buying the raw ground meat at places such as Target and Publix.  Is this ok?  After some more research I saw that sometimes these meats aren't frozen immediately, which is fine when we cook them before we eat them, but could introduce bacteria to a cat that is eating it raw. 

I've looked at the Hare Today website and would LOVE to try out some of the food on my cats, especially some whole prey for my new kitten. I think he'd really enjoy it. But the shipping price just kills me. Even though I have added everything and found it is essentially $7-$8/lb which is sometimes what I'm paying in the store here anyways. 

Is this worth it and do I need to get my raw meat for my cats somewhere like Hare Today? I have tried to find a butcher or some kind've other market that I might be able to get fresh meat from, but can't find any in Southern Florida that would work for me. 

Also, another question, if I do order some from Hare Today, a lot of the ground have bones and organs in them already. This is considered a complete diet, correct? So i wouldn't need to add my TCfeline since the package I currently have includes the liver already. 

Thanks for any input or suggestions! 

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not complete even if it's whole ground from what I read on catinfo.org
I get my 14 lbs whole ground rabbit from Hare-Today and use 8 lbs of turkey thighs from whole foods. It's really 7 by the time I'm done deboning.
I end up still adding Bcomplex, taurine, fish oil, salt.
I think the thighs are $2.49 a lb and I know when I order my 14 lbs of ground rabbit I get them in 2 lb chubs so they are easier to thaw and it runs me between $95-100.
There are cheaper ways to do it I've heard. But I make 21 lbs of lean raw that way for my two boys: Stewart age 5, 12 lbs. Tommy age 8, 13 lbs.
We also have a meat grinder so if the ish really hits the fan one month on the budget, I can grind up some chicken thighs and ad organ meat along with the supplements. 
All of it goes into ice cube trays as 1 ounce per serving. I feed the boys small meals, 5 times a day.
Even with getting my thighs at Whole Foods, it's still recommended to par cook them in the oven to blast off the surface bacteria.
http://catinfo.org/making-cat-food/
I must have read it maybe ten times before I started making it

My boys are also prone to weight gain and I made it the first time with the eggs and skin and they started gaining, so I leave it out.

riley1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

It's not complete even if it's whole ground from what I read on catinfo.org
I get my 14 lbs whole ground rabbit from Hare-Today and use 8 lbs of turkey thighs from whole foods. It's really 7 by the time I'm done deboning.
I end up still adding Bcomplex, taurine, fish oil, salt.
I think the thighs are $2.49 a lb and I know when I order my 14 lbs of ground rabbit I get them in 2 lb chubs so they are easier to thaw and it runs me between $95-100.
There are cheaper ways to do it I've heard. But I make 21 lbs of lean raw that way for my two boys: Stewart age 5, 12 lbs. Tommy age 8, 13 lbs.
We also have a meat grinder so if the ish really hits the fan one month on the budget, I can grind up some chicken thighs and ad organ meat along with the supplements. 
All of it goes into ice cube trays as 1 ounce per serving. I feed the boys small meals, 5 times a day.
Even with getting my thighs at Whole Foods, it's still recommended to par cook them in the oven to blast off the surface bacteria.
http://catinfo.org/making-cat-food/
I must have read it maybe ten times before I started making it

My boys are also prone to weight gain and I made it the first time with the eggs and skin and they started gaining, so I leave it out.

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like EZcomplete better than TCfeline, or any of the other pre-mixes, other than alnutrin. It's okay to use store bought meat. Just make sure it's not pre-ground. Pre-ground meat isn't safe to use. So buy chicken breast, or turkey thighs and either chop up or grind yourself. I only buy and feed meat from Hare Today. I don't think their prices are bad, personally, but it may depend on where you're at and how much shipping is. A lot of their bone-in grinds are high in bone and need to be diluted. Basically all the fowl blends are, so be aware of that. I buy a lot of the boneless and mix with EZcomplete. 

If you're interested here's the link for EZcomplete

http://www.foodfurlife.com/store/c1/Featured_Products.html

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Also, another question, if I do order some from Hare Today, a lot of the ground have bones and organs in them already. This is considered a complete diet, correct? So i wouldn't need to add my TCfeline since the package I currently have includes the liver already. 
No, meat with ground bone and organs included is not a complete diet. You must add in additional supplements or use a pre-mix.

Check local independent pet stores for frozen chubs of raw meat for pet food use. Some brands you can find are Primal frozen grinds, Bravo either the boneless or with bone and organ, and Blue Ridge (an odd one bcause it is ground meat with bone but no organs).

Many pre-mixes are for boneless organless meats only so make sure to buy the rigth chub as some brands are avaiable in both boneless and with bone and organs.

Pre ground meat from the supermarket and other places should not be used. Bacteria may be mixed throughout it (who knows if the grinder is clean?) which is destroyed when meat is cooked to the proper temperature but eating it raw may cause an upset tummy. Buy only whole cuts of meat like a breast or a thigh and grind or chop it yourself.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

remi0889

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for all the input! I'll definitely try to get some things from Hare Today & also look into that Miami store!