does anyone try to teach thier cat tricks?

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Scarlett, Muddy and Koko dance for their (wet) dinner. Scarlett, Muddy and Stumpy take goldfish crackers from our lips (we get little kitty kisses when they do this). Scarlett plays chase with her daddy - he chases her then they turn around and she chases him. Max (over the bridge) used to sit, but only for cheese, and only when the dogs got it with him. Max was also the master of the chase game.

The cats teach each other tricks, like the "open the cabinet door and crawl inside" trick, and the "sit on the counter and jump down when you hear mom coming" trick. I also had one learn to jump up and turn door knobs to open the door, and another that could hit the latch on the screen door to let himself out.

happytail

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mine know a few basics...
Buck fetches his furry mice. It took a while for him to bring the mouse back to me after he found it, as he always expected me to pick it back up even when he was closer to it.
Tess knows the High Five. She's a tortie, so she gets a bit whacky at times and when she didn't want to be bothered, she'd stand up on her hind legs and swat at me. She mellowed out as she got older but I taught her how to do it without being in a bad mood. Sometimes she'll get lazy and just High Five me while she's laying down.
My BooBoo used to know how to beg. He passed on last year but he would stand up straight on his hindlegs like a prairie dog as soon as I said "beg."
Pretty much all of my cats know the "jump" trick. I say Jump and they jump up on my chest or shoulder from where ever they are. Unfortunately, the trick kind of backfired with Junior. Whenever he wants attention, he'll just be flying through the air at me, whether I ask him to or not!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

iceangel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i would love to teach my two to fetch..charli does it kinda but she won't bring it back..if start to teach her it will take alot of persistance..it took me her about 10-14 days to learn to scratch her scrathing post on demand! and thats practising everyday!

i recently had friend over and charli got to perform her tricks..they were so impressed! heheheh

i think the next one i'll try to teach her is 'lay down'