Does anyone manage business work schedules or projects with software?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My team at work currently has a work scheduled that's in MS Excel. Each row is one project and there are several different columns to indicate project name, person assigned to the project, task to be completed by assigned individuals, date each task needs to be completed (usually a range of two or three days), etc. I think the schedule currently has some 70+ projects or so, some currently in progress and others waiting for a specific date to start. It's a lof of information and columns can be sorted by person assigned but it's still confusing. One has to sort 4 different colums one by one to see what tasks are assigned to him or her. It's easy to miss something. My eyes glaze over and go cross eyed just by looking at the schedule
Adding to confusion is that the person assigned to tasks can change

So I'm looking into other ways to better manage the scheduling. What would work best is a program where one page is the entire master schedule and then there are separate tabs/pages for each individual on the team (like how Excel has tabbed sheets you can flip through). The separate pages would have the same column and rows as the master schedule. Each person can look at his or her own page to see what tasks need to be done for each project and when. The individual pages would be linked to the master schedule so that when tasks are changed, the individual's page is automatically updated. Does that make sense?

I know info on one sheet can be linked to multiple sheets in Excel and that info can be auto updated but that seems to work with only formulas and numbers, not text and multiple rows and colums. I know what I want is probably related to macros and pivot tables and VBA coding but I have no idea how to do that.

I have MS Access at work and can get MS Project. Would Access or Project work better than an Excel spreadsheet to manage a work schedule? Or is there something else out there that would work for what I need?

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
MS Project is made for this kind of planning. The Gantt chart (not specific to MS Project) sounds like what you need.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks! I'll look into MS Project and contact IT for a download.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Some people just love their Excel sheets, don't they? 

I'm not sure it would work for you but I once tried Trello  and it's kinda cool. It's entirely visual which is great for some of us