Does anyone know why...

ellyelectricity

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my cat has always had bad breath? Ever since he was a kitten he has had awful breath like bleach. I know everyone will tell me to bring him to the vet. I can't. He basically is feral to any person but me. Last time I brought him to the vet just to get shots and a check up. It was awful. He flipped out and almost hurt the helper of the vet. I would love some kind of input on what to do because I don't know what I should do.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It may have something to do with his tummy if it's not his teeth.
I also had a kitty who was wild at the vets. They used to put leather gloves on when we came. Don't worry about the vets. They know how to deal with animals who don't like the vet. Your kitty is much more important than the vet getting a few scratches. Take him to the vet.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could also be what he's fed or if he has a chronic illness, such as herpes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ellyelectricity

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
ok. thank you both very much. Is it bad to ask them to sedate him so they can get a real good look at him?

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, just seen your thread.  I've never had a feral cat but did have one that was completely vet phobic from the age of about 4 till she died at 18. (Started after 2 visits one after the other when she was in pain).  The only way I could get her to the vet was with sedation - and I used to get so stressed I felt like I needed sedating too!  I hope you manage to get your cat there and that it isn't anything too serious.  When you have a cat as afraid as this it is worth discussing it with the vet before you take the cat in so that everyone is prepared.

I do not believe it is wrong to ask or allow your vet to sedate if your cat gets in to such a state going to the vet that they will either harm someone or themself, or their system becomes so stressed that it results in their becoming even more sick.

When I moved to my current vet I did so because they treat feral and rescue cats . They immediateley advised me they would only see her if she showed signs of illness (and yes I would want bad breath checked).  They wrote to my pet insurers to confirm this was their recommendation so I was still covered for any illness or treatment without regular checkups or caccinations.   I would get her to the surgery and they would sedate her before any exmination.  Before they met her they said they would bring her round from the sedation straight away so she'd be alert for me taking her home but once they saw how scared she was they reviewed that and used to let me take her home zonked out and I had to sit with her while she came round slowly.  

Last edited:

ellyelectricity

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I live in new orleans and its hard to find a vet that will sedate him first. Do you have any pointers to getting him inside a cage to get him there? hes smart and understands that his cage means vet or going on a trip. He hates them both since I had to evacuate with him once.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
There's probably loads of hints in the feral forum threads.  With snow leopard I had to keep the carrier out and open ready to put her in as her cystitis used to come on very fast and she'd be like a rag within hours.  If I had to get the basket down from a shelf she'd be like a whirling banshee and I'd never get near her - I swear she litterally climbed the walls of my bedroom and ran round them like the wall of death once (that was when the sedation had to start)!  I had to have a 'crush basket' that has a fully opening top and is close mesh wire so desperate paws couldn't gouge you when you were carrying it.  It allowed the vet and assistant to slide something in to the carrier to press her against the side so they could inject the sedative, but it was also easier for me to manhandle her in to.

In an ideal world you could try to convince your cat that the carrier is a nice place where they are given food and there is a soft comfy bed in it.  I never succeeded.
  1. I'd have to practice relaxing breathing, talk to her / myself quietly in a calm voice about biscuits and treats and cuddles, and make out I had no interest in picking her up or being near the basket. No eye contact or potentially threatening non verbal posturing.  Try to holdyourself in a relaxed, loose posture.
  2. If I'd come home from work early to get her to the vet I'd do all the usual things like put the TV on, put the kettle on, anything that gave the impression I was in to stay and no hint of going out.  If  was in I'd keep things on and go about doing stuff so she wouldn't suspect any move towards me going out, never mind taking her with me!  Get a fresh drink, something to eat, take your shoes off....
  3. I'd slowly work my self round the apartment and block off as many of the hiding spots (if it had been planned I'd try to discretely do some of this well ahead of time) as I could, and try to entice her in to the kitchen or spare room where there were no hiding spots and the basket would be there open and ready.  If she got wind I was tense or the basket was in my eye she'd be off in to some completely inaccessible hole in a second.  
  4. Pick up calm as possible and handle in to the basket, and keep firm hand on the back of the neck  until the lid is down and fastened.
  5. Once the cat is in you don't open the basket!
  6. Take a breather and if you are going to drive to the vet try to relax a bit before you get behind the wheel.
I'm sure you don't need to be told but it is sensible to wear nice thick clothes that give some degree of protection from teeth and claws before you start any of this!

These days you can get Feliway spray and I would use that too, spray it on the blanket in the carrier ahead of time if you can.  I spray it on my car seats as well.

Good luck.  I hope others have suggetions too.

Last edited:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, with finding a vet, try what I did: see if any shelters near you can tell you who they use?  They're more likely to treat very frightened and feral cats and might be more open to sedation if it's needed.

ellyelectricity

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for your help. :) You really helped me out so much.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always take the box down a few days before I need it so they get used to seeing it. The last time whisky was already resting in it so I just closed the door and then had to catch blighty. My first cat knew whether I did all sorts of stuff to pretend that all was okay. She'd run and hide in the same place each time and wet herself and me when I picked her up poor baby.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

Thank you so much for your help. :) You really helped me out so much.
You are very welcome.  I hope you manage to find a way to get him in the carrier without too much panic and pain.
I always take the box down a few days before I need it so they get used to seeing it. The last time whisky was already resting in it so I just closed the door and then had to catch blighty. My first cat knew whether I did all sorts of stuff to pretend that all was okay. She'd run and hide in the same place each time and wet herself and me when I picked her up poor baby.
Yes, that is another risk but I am lucky I haven't experienced it.  It is horrible to see them when they are so afraid.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was horrible. She never had accidents since I got her. Just these times and that didn't start from the beginning either. Just suddenly she started to hide and the first time when she did and I picked her up it took me a minute to realize she'd wet herself. But she never got cross with me. Only if I went away. She wouldn't talk to me when I got back. Unfortunately she died at the age of 2 and a bit. She had a blockage. My boss told me that if I operate she will die and he was right but it took time until the vet said that's it. I phoned my daughter who told me to wait until she came and we'd go together. I had to go to work after. It was so hard. I already had gentle and lotto but softy was my baby. She picked me when I went to the shelter. As I walked past her cage she lay on her side put her arm out and stroked my face. Well of course I took her. My little black and white girl. We were so close. When I brought her home I showed her where her food was her water and her litter box. She ate, drank, used her box and then sat down and started to wash. When I went to bed that night she jumped in beside me lying as close as she could and that's how it was. Mind you sometimes she'd go and bring her toys to bed and I'd wake up with her jumping on me with her toys. I'd grumble at her and then go back to sleep. She accepted gentle when she came but neither of them liked lotto. Poor boy. For 15 years he and gentle lived together tolerating each other. He got quite depressed when she died though. He lived another 3 years.
Now I have whisky and blighty.

susank521

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sometimes it can be so difficult and stressful getting them to the vet and you've already gotten a lot of great pointers. Some vets (and assistants) are certainly better than others at handling stressed or feral cats. If at all possible, it really is helpful if you can leave the carrier out all of the time. Once a week or so feed them treats in the carrier, keep comfortable bedding in there. Even playing with them in the carrier is helpful. Big carriers are better than the small, cat-sized ones so once you get them into the carrier, the little guys can scrunch themselves way in the back so they're far, far away from the door. Keep the carrier covered with a sheet or something.

I have a very large wire dog kennel, in addition to 2 carriers, that I leave out all of the time in the building where my feral guys live. More than once I've taken a cat to the vet in that big kennel. My vets have also, on occassion, "puffed" a small amount of anethesia into the carrier to just mildly sedate them so they can be examined. It's not the best thing in the world to do, but sometimes it's the only way they can be examined. As MServent said, the pheromone spray helps, too. But, again, it would be good if you didn't just use it only when you're taking them to the vet. Use it once or twice a week. Most important is your soft, gentle, comforting, calm, familiar voice. Good luck! I hope you're able to get him (what's his name?) to the vet and that he's ok.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lotto used to be a really fat cat even though he ate wisely. When the vet had to take blood she had to sedate him to take from his leg. After he had lost weight she was able to take from the forgotten the name in the neck. He didn't even feel it. Amazing. I'm normally crying before the needle even goes into my arm.

ellyelectricity

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm going to find a vet. I think he got mad at me for leaving him for 3 days to go to new york. my brother-in-law was feeding my two cats. he said binx didnt come out at all. :(