Does anyone know how their parents/grandparents met?

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure EXACTLY How my grandparents met my Poppy came from Italy when he was 18 and My Mimi(Grandmother) was born in NY, she was also Italian...he spoke no English but she could speak Italian, he said He loved her at first sight! He told me when he wanted to marry her he was holding her hand to see what size ring she would need and she kicked him
She married him when he had nothing at all, and he became a very successful builder. He was so Good to her, it was beautiful, he adored her!

My parents went all through school together...My dad was a jock football star and my mother was a wallflower...not much has changed

And they never dated in high school but met up again at some hangout when they were 22 and got married at 23 and have been married 48 years and had 4 kids.

enkeli-kitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My parents met when my mum was staying in a flat while working at an Outdoor Education Centre in England. Her flatmates were all guys and they never did any cleaning. Mum didn't want to be the "domestic female" so for ages she refused to clean up, but eventually she couldn't stand the stinky grossness of the kitchen any more and began to clean it out. She was really mad and yelled at all the guys to stay out. One of the guys's friends was over and he didn't know what was going on so he unsuspectingly went into the kitchen, and mum screamed at him to get out. That was my dad! Later they met and dad asked mum out, she accepted and they've been together ever since, for 21 years and 3 kids!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, they're all dead now. I really don't know about either set of grandparents' meetings.

The only one of them I really knew was Dad's Mum; the few times I heard reference to his father, it was either from Dad "my father
" or his Mum "my husband
", with never a reference to their meeting.

I'd be willing to guess that Mum's parents grew up in each other's orbit and got together that way, but I don't know that for fact.

As for Mum and Dad, they met in the workplace -- he was a salesman, she was the switchboard operator (this is in the late 20's, early 30's). They'd have married a whole lot sooner if it hadn't been the Depression, and pretty lean times. They were only a few months short of 50 years when Mum died.

trinettec

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My parents met at a high school football game. She was a Farmington girl and he an Aztec boy. There used to be a big rivalry between the two town and when they started dating my dad's friends really gave them a hard time. She married him when she was a senior in HS and finished HS at the Naval Base in Fallon, NV where my dad was stationed. They had 3 girls together and loved each other dearly until they both passed away. (Mom when I was 6 and Dad when I was 14).
I just love the story about how my grandparents (Dad's side) met. Grandpa was on his way to propose to a neighbor girl and cut thru Grandma's cherry orchard. Well Grandma was in a cherry tree picking cherries and nearly fell out when my Grandpa yelled "Hello".
They spent the rest of that day talking and Grandpa proposed to her a month later. I wear the ring that he bought for the other girl (it is just a simple gold band) because it wouldn't fit my Grandma and Grandpa said she deserved a nicer ring with a big diamond. She only wore that diamond on special occasions because she didn't want to lose it somewhere on the farm. They raised 3 boys and 10 grandchildren and we lost count of the great grandchildren. My grandparents were the happiest people that I know.

annabelle33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My dad was a musician and my mom went to one of his performances and she fell in love @ first site. He was with a hot blonde though that night. Mom went to see him play for a second time and that time he noticed her and asked her out. The rest is history

I think it's why I've always been (tragically and mistakenly) attracted to musicians.

As far as my grandparents, I really don't know.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't knwo about my grandparents.

My mom and dad worked together in a gas station. My moms boss accused her of stealing cigarettes and my dad stood up for her. They both got fired but they have been together for 27 years!

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The STORY goes (no idea how true this is), that my grandmother found my grandfather passed out drunk at a barn dance and told her friend "I'm gonna marry him if I can sober him up"

My grandma stuck by that story the entire 30 some years that I knew her, so I suppose I have to accept it as true

alaynna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My parents met through a mutual friend and ironically my dad had seen my mother a while before they "met" and he thought she was pretty... (same thing happend with me and dh...)

My mom's parents were childhood friends and lived on the same street...

I don't know about my dad's parents...

my in laws met because their parents would play a card game every week and they all went to the same church...

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know about my grandparents, but considering how small the towns were and still are where they each got married, I'm betting they grew up together.

As for my parents, well, they first met when they were in strollers at a 4th of July celebration in the town park in 1943. I think Dad pulled Mom's hair.
They were really pre-Baby Boomers, born in 1942. Mom's father had flat feet and couldn't enlist; Dad's father was in the Mediterannean Front when he was born and Dad didn't meet his father until he was 3 years old. They grew up going to school together and dated through high school (Dad always broke up with her during football season and track season, thus assuring him of never having to deal with Christmas and Valentine's Day - the brat!
). He finally proposed when they were in college on Leap Day - February 29, 1963. They were married 36 years when Mom passed in 2000.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not sure about my grandparents, but my parents met in the early 60's when Dad was among a group of my aunt's friends who came to pick her up for a picnic. The way Mom tells it, she wasn't planning to go on the picnic, but saw Dad and changed her mind. Things just kind of went from there, they dated a few years and got married in 1965.