Does anyone know classical music well?

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like to listen to classical music when I'm overstimulated because it blocks out outside noises and it doesn't have any voices that add to my stress. I'm trying to find music similar to what I like to listen to, but I don't know what that would be. The piece of classical music I listen to a lot is the Gadfly Suite from Dimitri Shostakovich. I like fast-paced and upbeat pieces mixed with slower and flowy parts and when clarinets or oboes are featured. I also prefer the smoothness of stringed instruments over more fierce or harsh piano or percussion. I know I'm not a fan of Schumann because it puts me to sleep.

Anyone know of some similar composers or pieces?

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm. I'm afraid I'm not much help, as I'm more into Baroque. :)

But for what it's worth, Bach's Brandenburg Concertos really help me to relax and unwind, without making me want to fall asleep, especially No. 2.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was also going to recommend Bach.
Yay! Another JS Bach fan! :biggrin:

I especially love Bach's fugues. Well, maybe except for Prelude and Fugue No. 21 from the Well-Tempered Clavier. I nailed the prelude for one of my jury exams, but my nerves got the better of me about halfway through the fugue. :paperbag:

I guess Baroque music appeals to my quirky need for consistent structure...and volume! Music from the classical period and later can scare the crap out of me (and my cats!) when it goes back and forth between ppp and fff.

If I have time later today, I'll try to dig through my CD collection and see if I can come up with anything more helpful. My brains aren't awake yet. :wink:

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't find anything in my CD collection that might be of interest to you, as it's mostly from the Renaissance or Baroque periods for piano, harpsichord, lute, or brass. But if you like Dmitry Shostakovich and are into more energetic fare, these composers have some cool stuff:

Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov
Modest Mussorgsky
Sergei Rachmaninoff
Igor Stravinsky
Sergei Prokofiev

If you like something a little on the spooky/dark & broody side, here's a fun collection. :)

Or if you want to try a collection of more upbeat works, maybe some of these might tickle your fancy.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I don’t know if it fits your description, but I’ve always loved Antonín Dvořák’s Symphony No. 9 in E minor, "From the New World," Op. 95, B. 178, popularly known as the New World Symphony. I also love the Brandenburgs that cheeser cheeser mentions. Or how about the work of C.P.E. Bach, J.S. Bach's son? Perhaps his flute concertos. Then there’s Rimsky-Korsakov’s “Scheherazade.” Or Handel’s Water Music Suite or Mozart’s Eine kleine Nachtmusik or Vivaldi’s The Four Seasons or... :)

So many wonderful works!

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t know if it fits your description, but I’ve always loved Antonín Dvořák’s Symphony No. 9 in E minor, "From the New World," Op. 95, B. 178, popularly known as the New World Symphony. I also love the Brandenburgs that cheeser cheeser mentions. Or how about the work of C.P.E. Bach, J.S. Bach's son? Perhaps his flute concertos. Then there’s Rimsky-Korsakov’s “Scheherazade.” Or Handel’s Water Music Suite or Mozart’s Eine kleine Nachtmusik or Vivaldi’s The Four Seasons or... :)

So many wonderful works!
There's also PDQ Bach. :wink:

Seriously though, there's an embarrassment of riches from Mozart, Haydn, Handel, Schubert, Beethoven, as well as lots of lesser known composers.

Gosh, I wish I would have saved my old Norton Scores tapes and texts. They included a sample of works from a variety of composers from each musical period that might have helped to jog my memory. Once I changed majors, I forgot a lot of this stuff. :tongue: