Does Anyone Know About Natural Litters? Need Help Choosing...

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nature's Miracle is available through amazon.com, but I'd check some Canadian stores to see if it's distributed locally to save taxes and shipping.

Gizmo knocks some of this out of her box but I never see the litter anywhere but in the bathroom. I got some squares of carpet remnant and put them under the litterbox (I have an oddly shaped sink with one leg in front that necessitates using more than one piece.) The best idea was putting a Welcome doormat inside the bathroom door! When Gizmo comes out of the room, the last bits of litter are left on the mat.

She wipes her front paws thoroughly when exiting the box, but sometimes the rear paws have a little bit left.
I keep a broom in the bathroom and sweep up the little crumbs, then vacuum.

Here's a shot of Gizmo lying on the doormat:

The mat is a sort of plastic substance, so that it's thin enough to stay flat when the door is closed.

teiga

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently added two kittens to my household, making 3 cats altogether. They are from a litter of 4 from a stray we adotped. So at one point, we had 6 cats to take care of - which means constant litterbox scooping. I tried every natural litter I could find and finally discovered a brand called "World's Best Cat Litter". I almost didn't buy it because the name annoyed me, but have been very impressed with it's performance. It's made from whole-kernel corn, environmentally safe, and "99% dust free, containing no clays, silica, synthetic binding or dust reducing agents". It's also very easy to scoop...I'm sold!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by gailuvscats

I use chicken feed for litter. It is great and inexpensive and no tracking, BUT, I think in the summer it sours in the box quickly. I think I will switch to swheat this summer. I need to have an organic litter, because I can't stand the dust of the commercial brands. I just about die filling and scooping. It can't be very good for the cats either. that is why I am not opposed to a food based litter. I mean if it is natural, it would have to be edible wouldn't it. If it is made from a plant material, oh well I guess pine is not edible, but pine nuts are. Has anyone used the yesterdays news? I am curious about that, but when I squeeze it thru the bag, it seems really hard.
yesturdays news the odor control didnt work for me .. it is recylded newpaper...

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I second that Sharky!
We used it for the kittens when they were itty-bitty and the odour control is almost nill.

eudevie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
For a time when my cat Max had to be declawed,(It was that or wake up to find the other cat dead in the morning if she slipped out of the bedroom. Other cat WOULD NOT defend herself, and Max is a ruthless attacker.x.x) We had to use Oatmeal so her paws wouldn't get infected. It doesn't clump that well, but it is non-toxic to cats (as far as I know. I saw a post of someone's cat EATING oatmeal...), very little dust, and it doesn't smell as long as you clean it once in the morning and once at night. You can probably get oatmeal cheap if you buy in bulk or in large containers, probably at a store like Aldi. My mom said she actually spent less on the oatmeal then the normal brand we bought. odd. Replacing the whole thing once a week is good,too.

mamakitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sylorna

I second that Sharky!
We used it for the kittens when they were itty-bitty and the odour control is almost nill.
I third that with yesterday's news. It was horrible!!! We bought a big bag thinking it would do really well but it went to waste. I don't even know what to do with the rest of the bag. Tt doesn't even control urine odor so forget controlling poop smell. It doesn't clump at all so it's horrible and I think my cats hated it.

mamakitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rina_Marie

<<Have you tried the Feline Pine Scoopable in the purple bag? It is pine sawdust. It does clump and is flushable.>>

No, I haven't even seen the scoopable. Is it good about not tracking?

On a positive note, I think my cats are doing better with the regular Feline Pine! Two of my cats have now switched over completely, and the other is using about half FP and half regular right now. Hopefully I'll be able to transition him fully soon. I made a self-cleaning FP box last night by taking two tupperware containers and putting one inside the other. The one on top has holes in it (I made them using a drill) and it's catching ALL the sawdust that is left from the used pellets, so all I have to do is clean out the solids! So far, it's working just great! YAY!
Now just pray with me that I'll be able to get Arek to use the FP with the other two, and everything will be perfect!
I just use a regular litter box without a sifter and it's just as good. The poop gets covered up better once the pellets breaks down to saw dust so I just change the whole entire litter box once a week. I haven't tried the FP scoop but the instruction does state you will need to put more in the box. It's in a shaved form than the pellet form. The only problem I have with FP is it doesn't do well in covering up the poop so the first 2 days of new litter really stinks up the bathroom.