Does Anyone Here Have Allergies To Other Things But Not Cats?

wandering-wondering

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've read that having allergies to other things (especially dust mites) increases your risk of becoming allergic to cats. I'm very worried I'll become allergic to my cat since I have allergies to dust mites, and hope to see that there are other cat owners who are cat-allergy free despite being allergic to other things!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I noticed that this is your first post, welcome to TCS, glad you joined the forum. :wave3:
I have allergies to both dust mites, outdoor irritants, cats and dogs. However, everyone is an individual and I don't think you can make a blanket statement that being allergic to one necessarily increases your risk of being allergic to the other. This question would be best answered by your primary physician or allergist. That being said, there are so many resources, medications, products and treatments available to help reduce the risk factors and/or maintain a healthy lifestyle. I understand your concern and glad you came here for help.:alright: I'm sure other members will weigh in with their advice also.

Here are just a few links to read but please feel free to do a further search on the forum and check out the articles:
Terrified I'll Become Allergic To My Cat

Question of the Day, Wednesday March 30th

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wandering-wondering

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I noticed that this is your first post, welcome to TCS, glad you joined the forum. :wave3:
I have allergies to both dust mites, outdoor irritants, cats and dogs. However, everyone is an individual and I don't think you can make a blanket statement that being allergic to one necessarily increases your risk of being allergic to the other. This question would be best answered by your primary physician or allergist. That being said, there are so many resources, medications, products and treatments available to help reduce the risk factors and/or maintain a healthy lifestyle. I understand your concern and glad you came here for help.:alright: I'm sure other members will weigh in with their advice also.

Here are just a few links to read but please feel free to do a further search on the forum and check out the articles:

Question of the Day, Wednesday March 30th
Thanks very much, Neely! That was very helpful!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My brother is highly allergic to only cats, hives and swollen eyes and throat. But not to Siamese! So he only has Siamese cats in his life. So the dander is different on different breeds. I am registered nurse and have found that different allergens can cause different symptoms, but being allergic to one doesn't mean you will be allergic to another, even in the same family. That is why people can be allergic to TREE nuts, (like pecans, almonds, etc.)but can still eat PEANUTS, a ground nut. So good luck and be sure to spend time with a potential new family member to see if you are allergic. before you adopt. As for your cat now, nine out of ten times it is almost immediate, not something you 'build up'.Taking Benadryl at night can drastically reduce symptoms too. Welcome to the site, and what a good question!

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to the forums. What a great thread for your first post.
I personally am allergic to any type of steroid and also bananas.

My mom has always been allergic to dust mites and she's not allergic to dogs or cats. So I wouldn't be concerned unless/until it happens.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I am allergic to any alcohol taken internally. But I have four cats and I don't react to them.

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am allergic to leaf mold. I've never been allergic to cats, thank goodness.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to the Cat Site! I've had hay fever for years when exposed to sudden changes in temperature. I just got back from the grocery store where my eyes and nose were running and I was sneezing. So I had to take a Claritin D to get it all to stop. But I've never developed an allergy to cats, and I've had plenty of them during my lifetime. You probably won't either.

theyremine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have seasonal allergies (grass pollen, hay etc), dust mites, mold, and NSAIDS. I have 5 cats living with me and I clean, feed, socialize at a shelter for 3+ hours weekly. No allergies to any cats.